do plecos eat other fish?

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
i have had 3 mysterious disappearances from my 10 gallon tank - 2 were mollies (black) and one recently was a buenes aires tetra. they completely dissappeared, and trust me, i have looked everywhere. could it have been my Pleco? he is about 7 inches (I know, too big for a ten gallon, he's moving into a 55 as soon as its cycled). my roommate is convinced that Bob (Pleco) is the culprit. is it possible?

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes it is possible...

My pleco was about 13 inches long and a bully to boot. The bigger he got the meaner he was. He would fight the Oscar's which were larger than him and he would win. So it is possible.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
awww poor fishes ... i think it very well could be . It might have have gotten a little to crowded for him and him in close quarters with these small fish... I am tryiing to picture how big seven inches is. I dont think its big enough for him to eat the mollies, but myabe kill them. and then they got picked at by everything else..? :-[

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
hmm. i just don't think its very plausible for him to kill one without anyone noticing, and then all these tiny little tetras eating a molly, along with hiim. the last fish that went missing occured during a 50% water change when i moved it to another room. he was there before, and then not when the tank was relocated. its very wierd.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually plecos won't eat fish unless they are already dead. Their diet is more woody, vegetarian but they won't refuse the protein if its dead
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom