Do Plecos Change Color?

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My 2 cents: mine did the same thing and is heathy and stubborn as a horse.

He was almost solid brown but now he is very molted looking. But I also have very pale sand so I’m wondering if that has something to do with it cause my mature male is doing the same. My younger boy looks about your size.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He looks like a green dragon, which is just switching colors, I had a female that looked like the bottom fish when she was comfortable then when stressed she looked like a chunk of charcoal.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mcasella said:
He looks like a green dragon, which is just switching colors, I had a female that looked like the bottom fish when she was comfortable then when stressed she looked like a chunk of charcoal.
He was sold to me as a green dragon, I just wasn't expecting drastic color change. Good to know it's normal! The bottom fish and the top fish are the same fish.

Ginni

Reaction score
Good ro know i would love to own a green one both the two i own are the dark dark brown but they are now 6 inches and other is about 7 1/2 inches i was planning on taking one of them to a local family owned pet store that would sell one of them for me because I'm sure i could get really good money for such large pleco's hahaha

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ginni said:
Good ro know i would love to own a green one both the two i own are the dark dark brown but they are now 6 inches and other is about 7 1/2 inches i was planning on taking one of them to a local family owned pet store that would sell one of them for me because I'm sure i could get really good money for such large pleco's hahaha
That's the nice part about BNs, they stay smaller I will say though, he's not really green, lol.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
DoubleDutch said:
The lower pic shows a stress pattern (cause being out in the open).
I'm a bit confused now. @Mcasella stated the bottom pic was the unstressed color for her fish, but you're saying the darker color means stress?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bithimala said:
I'm a bit confused now. @Mcasella stated the bottom pic was the unstressed color for her fish, but you're saying the darker color means stress?
It differs sometimes between the fish, the female only showed those colors when she was happily tucked away where she thought you couldn't see her and went completely dark when visible (this was tested is a frosted container with a thick plant to see if it resulted in the same colors).

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok thanks. I just want the little guy to be happy, so if it's stress and I need to add more hides, I will, but if that's a good color, then we're all set. Any way to tell more clearly if the colors can vary by fish?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bithimala said:
Ok thanks. I just want the little guy to be happy, so if it's stress and I need to add more hides, I will, but if that's a good color, then we're all set. Any way to tell more clearly if the colors can vary by fish?
My green dragons are a dark green color, but do not display the paler markings (they have a bunch of hides and run when they see my mug looking in, but otherwise are content enough to breed and come out to feast on the foods i offer), the siblings of the brown female was almost charcoal all the time, even when i was stressing him out.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Any good tips on behavior i should look for to tell about stress?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bithimala said:
Any good tips on behavior i should look for to tell about stress?
More hiding places helps them be secure, the darker color morphs seem to not enjoy being viewed unless they are raised where people are looking in at them all times from young fish to adulthood. Lighter colors don't seem to mind being out in view as much.
For the most part there isn't much to tell about them, if they are eating and acting normal i'd go with they are healthy - the pair of red marble i have took two months before they were comfortable enough to spawn in their new tank, the blue eyes took almost 4 before that happened.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok awesome! I managed to get a look at him completely within the crypts, and yep, definitely those marks get darker, but it's his choice to be out and about, so I'll not worry He's got a few good hides he likes being in right now - really long piece of drift wood with a few holes through the middle seems to be one of his favorites. Love seeing just the tail stick out the top, lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom