Do Pleco eat brown diatom algae?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BroIncarnate

Valued Member
Reaction score
No more to ask really but do Plecos eat brown diatom clage?

Is it smart to get one while the tank is fish-in cycling with 6 panda cories, 1 nerite, 1 mystery snail? It's a 20g Long and has brown algae over some rocks/aquarium walls

Thanks!

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Your nerite should. My nerites do an excellent job of cleaning them off everything.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would not get a pleco - especially if you plan on putting it in a 20g. They need more space especially when in groups of 4 to 6. The BN only get to 4 inches as an adult but that would soon outgrow your tank.
And besides, mine never did much for diatoms.

The Nerites are a better choice as you can add a handful and they are very low on the bioload and do an excellent job on getting rid of diatoms.

to show you an example, here is my pea-sized horned nerite ( these varieties do not get much bigger than pea sized ) that cleared a good spot in one day!

bumblebee nerite.jpg

Also to note, Pleco's are very heavy on the bioload

Danjamesdixon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You should not be looking to fish for a solution to your Algae problem. That is you as the aquarists job.

Whether it be reducing your lighting hours, moving your tank to a more suitable location out of direct sunlight, or simply increasing your cleaning regime, it is down to you - not the fish - to deal with.

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are some plecs that could fit in there and do eat it, unfortunately, it is not a popular food in my experience.

too small for bn or rubber nose, but the tank size itself would be ok for a pit bull plec or otto plec.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You should not be looking to fish for a solution to your Algae problem. That is you as the aquarists job.

Whether it be reducing your lighting hours, moving your tank to a more suitable location out of direct sunlight, or simply increasing your cleaning regime, it is down to you - not the fish - to deal with.
It sounds like diatoms which are pretty much inevitable when you start up a new tank ( or even old tank syndrome ) due to the silicates from the ornaments/sand, etc

I agree that other forms of algae CAN be prevented but diatoms is not one of them.

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I probably should have addd that you need a good size tank to keep most cories with plecs, as many plecs do form territories.

Danjamesdixon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It sounds like diatoms which are pretty much inevitable when you start up a new tank ( or even old tank syndrome ) due to the silicates from the ornaments/sand, etc

I agree that other forms of algae CAN be prevented but diatoms is not one of them.
Very true. But in that case, surely it's a better option to physically clean the tank more regularly until the New/Old Tank Syndrome recedes. Be it with an Algae Scraper or whichever method the OP prefers.

Adding fish for the sake of trying to get rid of Algae, to me, seems like rather bad practice.

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
True, but surely people can find algae eating creatures they like for other reasons.
There areloads of types (not. Just plecs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 10 38.5%

Top Bottom