Do Platies Bully Other Platies

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a pregnant platy. I recently got 2 more platies. Only the 3 fish are in a 20g. The pregnant platy has been hiding alot the past week. I have had the 2 new fish about 4 days, but I think she is really close to giving birth. She came out when I fed them and one of the new platies stuck very close to her. She was darting around the tank and the new one was chasing her. No nipping or anything and I have seen them together in the boat but the pregnant one wouldn't eat. Is the new one bullying her or just trying to play? Or is the pregnant one just really sensative because she is so pregnant? I should mention the 2 new platies are about half the size of the pregnant one.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Both the new platies are supposed to be female

The 2 new platies get along great too. So if one was male wouldn't it be bothering the unpregnant female?

Keith83

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ah, well even so if they are bullying her then I'd seperate her somehow. Can you tell the difference between males and females?

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was just told the back fin is longer in males. They are pretty small so it's hard to tell with them. I can't tell if it's bullying or her just being weird csusc she is pregnant. They aren't nipping at her it more just being very close to her and following very close so she freaks out and goes back in the ship. Is that bullying? I can say she was barely coming out and swimming before I got them .She was mostly hiding in the corner which is why I think she is due to have the babies soon. That's why I don't know if it's them or her.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They might be waiting for her to drop so they can jave a snack.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
smee82 said:
They might be waiting for her to drop so they can jave a snack.
Lol and I am ok with that. I was supposed have all females before so not sure if I had a male or she was holding sperm. If a couple survive ok but I didn't want babies. Could she be acting freaked out by them just because she is close to giving birth? Or is it cause they are bothering her? She is twice their size!

Keith83

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Under their belly the female's analfin is shaped like a fan and the male's is just straight and pointy.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Photobelle said:
Lol and I am ok with that. I was supposed have all females before so not sure if I had a male or she was holding sperm. If a couple survive ok but I didn't want babies. Could she be acting freaked out by them just because she is close to giving birth? Or is it cause they are bothering her? She is twice their size!
Double check to make sure you have all females, if you have 2m and 1f the males will stress the female by attempting to breed with it constantly. They can store sperm for 6 months so even if you get rid of any males you will still have to deal with fry for quite a while.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Keith nailed it but if you can show a photo from the side there are numerous people that will tell you.

Or compare the analfin on the pregnant one to the analfins on the other 2. The difference is very noticeable.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry for so many pics they are hard to get a pic of and I wanted a variety. Do these look like females?

Attachments

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The orange one is a female.

The yellow ones with black near their tail are 1m and 1f.

I’m looking on my phone but i’m pretty sure.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just returned them and they confirmed they were males (pics are terrible sorry). So she will just be alone til we get back from vac and hopefully she produces enough ammonia to keep my cycle going til we get back and stock the tank. So one pregnant platy will be in a 20g til prolly Tues next week.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom