Do plants need blue LED lighting?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I received my full spectrum LED light this week for my planted 10gal and it has a switch for the white LEDs and blue LEDs. I noticed the blue ones stay on anyways with the white ones, so my question is do I need to use the blue lights (by themselves) as well for my plants? Should I be leaving them on throughout the night or are they just there for an extra light setting/nightlight.

Im just curious because I sleep in pitch black and would prefer to not use the blue LED setting if its not required for any plant growth, but if the blue lights are necessary for plants , then I suppose I will work something out.

Thanks

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think the blue light is only to see your nocturnal fishes and watch them, it does affect fishes sleep and should not be left on through out the night.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive heard blue light on all the time causes algae problems. Best to not have it on at night especially. Plants need dark time too for photosynthesis reasons.

Tankmandan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A small amount of blue light in combination with all other white and red lights is fine. Full spectrum LED's are RGB lighting systems. The RGB will be on when the light is turned on. Blue light can cause algae but the lights should have a reduced amount of blue LEDS on it to not make this a big issue. Keeping the light on to long will be a bigger issue when it comes to algae. The blue light all on its own is for use at night but does not need to be left on all night. Plants do need darkness for their photosynthesis cycle. The blue light alone will not cause much of an issue to the plants as the photosynthesis acts different without the rest of the lights on. I leave my blue light on for about 2 hours before the light goes completely dark.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blue lights will make them grow very bushy and leafy. Blue LED lights increases the plant growth and makes the the plants reach maturity faster. Just be careful as they do cause excess algae in the tank. No lights should be on at night, as fish and plants both need dark time.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For me my tanks all have 24/7 lighting. I’ve never seen them off. Allways at least blue lights on. No problems with sleepy fish :) plants grow great.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
For me my tanks all have 24/7 lighting. I’ve never seen them off. Allways at least blue lights on. No problems with sleepy fish :) plants grow great.
You have lights that stay on all night? White, Red or Blue? How strong?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dennis mine are set at the factory settings and on 24/7. The older vivagrow follow the finnex at the same color modes almost the same. The new vivagrow are brighter and go from day to night quicker. So those blue lights are on longer. They all go very dark but never are off completely.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
Dennis mine are set at the factory settings and on 24/7. The older vivagrow follow the finnex at the same color modes almost the same. The new vivagrow are brighter and go from day to night quicker. So those blue lights are on longer. They all go very dark but never are off completely.
I may give it a try. I can just change it by hitting the 24/7 mode on the vivagrow lights?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With the older just shutting off and than on and putting on 24/7 should restart it for the new just hit the restart button.
54FD68A7-F7D5-4B97-BA03-656B8A3A8951.jpeg
CAA91A7E-BBE2-4C29-BEC9-D2512EE73E96.jpeg

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not sure where the blue light causes algae myth started, but the light plants use the most are blue and red. They use the whole visible spectrum including green but blue and red is where it peaks.
Algae problems only occur if you have lights on for too long. This means on all night light. Blue moonlights are usually quite dim though, so I don't know how much photosynthetic value they have.
It's also worth mentioning that we can't really see spectrum of white lights, nor do we know the exact wavelength of blue LEDs. So leave them on if you like how it looks, take them off at night to avoid algae.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom