Do Plants Carry Fish Disease?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by crashdiamond, Apr 19, 2018.

1. crashdiamond

crashdiamond New Member Member

hello all! I recently bought a driftwood from petco and had it in my tank with my betta fish (may he Rest In Peace) but he died of Dropsy. Is it ok if I put the drift wood in another tank or is it contaminated? The driftwood has a plant growing in it. Thanks!

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

The water on the plant can carry a disease, but your describing a bacterial infection so this is different. Firstly, Dropsy is a secondary disease which means it had something else first. Also bacterial infections don't normally spread unless wounds are present. Viral on the other hand do.

3. OP
    OP
    crashdiamond

crashdiamond New Member Member

So it would be ok to put the driftwood in another tank? Are there any precautions I can take to prevent spreading just in case?

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

If your afraid of contamination I would take that piece of wood and probably boil it, let it dry and plop it into the tank.

You'll lose the plants but would you rather risk contamination if you didn't boil it at least? If you like the plant, see about removing it and placing it somewhere, like a QT tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice