Do plants and cichlids mix??

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Pheesh, Apr 8, 2010.

1. PheeshNew MemberMember

Hi I have a 10g tank with 2 cichlids i dont have a test kit so i'm not sure what ph is but i have used dechlorinators in the tank the temperature is at the 78-80 range I was wondering if plants are suitable for cichlids because i've read that they eat the plants I want a list of plants that can survive a cichlid environment and do not need sufficient substrate (can attach to rocks or bogwood) Thanks!

2. kribensis keeper

kribensis keeperValued MemberMember

What cichlides are they

3. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fishlore Pheesh. :;hi2

Unfortunately a 10gal isn't really large enough to house any cichlids. I think you should really consider upgrading to a larger tank. Even the smallest of cichlids requires at least 20gal.

Wether plants are suitable for your cichlids depends on what kind they are. If you can tell us what they are then we can let you know if it is possible to have plants with them or not.

4. OP
    OP
    P

PheeshNew MemberMember

I have an electric yellow and a demonsoni.... unfortunately the electric yellow eats a lot of vegetation. :((
    I'm not sure if i'm ready to upgrade my tank so i might have to return the cichlids. I've had them for 2 days

5. rattyhatty

rattyhattyNew MemberMember

If you can't upgrade your idea to return them is the best for the fishes well being :) . Cichlids can have very individual personalities, meaning some will destory plants more than others. The best way to find out what your particular fish will eat or destroy is trial and error, which usually isn't worth the trouble. Just use fake plants. Thats what I do with my oscar and my convicts. Cichlids are very active tank re-arrangers also, so often the reason for them tearing up plants is just that they don't want them to be there....

6. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Yes it is best you return them I think. Both of those fish need at least 40gal & should be kept in numbers. They are both rift lake cichlids & don't need plants anyway. Thier natural habitat is mostly devoid of plant life & is mostly made up of sand flacks & massive amounts of rock.

If in the future you do get a large enough tank & want to give rift lake cichlids a go then remember to have huge piles of rock with heaps & heaps of caves. If you want to try plants with them in the future tough plants like Anubius & Swords would most likely be ok.

7. OP
    OP
    P

PheeshNew MemberMember

Thanks everyone I will return them as soon as possible.

8. pepetj

pepetjWell Known MemberMember

If you want a Cichlid in 10gal planted then consider a pair of Apistogramma OR Rams. This should be a soft/acidic tank, at most a bit under neutral. You could add a small shoal of Cardinal Tetras there also.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

9. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Sorry Pepe but I've got to disagree on Rams or Apistos going into a 10gal, especially with other fish. They need more room than that despite thier small size. Small community fish wouldn't stand a chance in a 10gal with them. The Rams or Apistos would be way too territorial for the other fish to deal with & there is nowhere for them to hide. There are no cichlids suitable for a 10gal tank as a permanant home. You might get away with a pair in 10gal temporarily, but not in the long term.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice