Do Pictus Catfish rotate their eyes all day or just when they come see you?

Amatyi1

I understand that pictus catfish do not blink their eyes. I think I read somewhere that they actually rotate their eyes downward and back up and it looks like a blink. My question is do they do this all the time or just when they're around their owners. I've watched him when he's in the back of the tank and never see him do this. He comes up to the front of the tank where I put my finger and he will start rotating his eyes like he's saying hello to me or he wants food. Is it just the fact that I'm not noticing it when he's swimming around or do they have control of this and do this to give us a sign they recognize us or they want food? I was also one of the ones that thought he was blinking at me until I looked it up. The only time I noticed him doing it is when he comes up to the front of the tank to say hello.

Salem

they do this randomly without any reason discernable reason. some people believe it helps push food down like a frogs eyes and some people believe it helps them detect predators or food. the latter of which would probably partially explain why yours is doing it when looking in your direction- not necessarily him saying hi but him making sure hes seeing what he thinks hes seeing.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ckline
  • Question
Replies
Views
Amatyi1
Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics
Replies