Question Do Panda Cories Eat Snails?

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never seen Corys eating snails. I even have a snail in one of my tanks and none of them seem to be interested in that one snail.

NoOne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dang. Loaches get so huge. I have a 55 gal column . I dont think a loach would do long term. Hate to get a puffer(although I really like them) cause my tank is not brackish. 2 blue eyed lemon long fin BNP's, one platinum Angel, 4 panda's and one Dwarf flame Gourami. I also read that Gouramis eat snails. Is this also a fallacy?

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
SAP puffers are truely fresh water and the "gentlest" of the puffers but not sure with your line up
..can check them out

NoOne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great recommendations ! I will check both out. Thank you!

SAP puffers are truely fresh water and the "gentlest" of the puffers but not sure with your line up
..can check them out
Will I find info on them as SAP Puffers?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Dang. Loaches get so huge. I have a 55 gal column . I dont think a loach would do long term. Hate to get a puffer(although I really like them) cause my tank is not brackish. 2 blue eyed lemon long fin BNP's, one platinum Angel, 4 panda's and one Dwarf flame Gourami. I also read that Gouramis eat snails. Is this also a fallacy?
How long wide is the tank? Khuli or YoYo loaches might be a possibility for a tank with a small footprint

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok. I have one angelfish and a dwarf flame Gourami. They wont beat him up?
Well just like Cory's you need to have a group of them. For khuli's I'd say you could do ~5 and for yoyo's you could do ~3. IMO yoyo's are better at getting snails.

NoOne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I chose to get Assassin Snails. Got 3. They have all disappeared. But not before I saw one get a large Malaysian snail I didn't know was in there.

NoOne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I saw them burrow but at first their shell was exposed enough to see is easily. Do they completely bury themselves?

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Assassin snails will bury themselves especially the young ones. Most of my adults just hide out in the back of the tanks during the day under plants and driftwood.

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cories love eating snails but you have to squish the snails first. If it is not squished the cory will ignore it. So if you are looking for low effort then cories are not your intended fish.
Yoyos grow fast, have super energy, and eat a lot occasionally they pester other fish. Chain loaches are a little smaller and more docile. with loaches I like a group of at least 6. I have never had luck getting any loaches to eat snails.
I have tried assassins 2x and just had them die.
Puffers on the other hand are great at eating snails. Little pea puffers are pure fresh water. As they are puffers i do not trust them near other fish even if they would be a lot smaller than the other fish (that is me, others have said they are fine). Where the loaches figured out that food shows up at the top of the tank so there is no point putting effort on snails, puffers just love killing and so will turn the substrate into solid snail shells if given a year or so. Also keep in mind that you need more filtration as they do not eat much of each snail and once full just kill them so you will have lots of rotting snails. Very messy eaters.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom