Do otos eat black spot algae

Bruinfishkeeper1

Hey guys quick question, do Otocinclus eat black spot algae?

MacZ

Not in my experience. Please don't use Otos as algae eaters, they are a bag full of trouble you don't want to open.

Bruinfishkeeper1

Oh trust me I'm not going to just throw them in and say "alright eat my algae see you in 4 years". Im pretty familiar with there diet and all. I was just curious if they would eat black spot algae

MacZ

My personal Triggerfish. All good. It was more for all the people that might read the thread.

Bruinfishkeeper1

MacZ said:
My personal Triggerfish. All good. It was more for all the people that might read the thread.
Oh ok cool haha. Just curious why is it a trigger fish for you?

MacZ

Tried them 20 years ago and 2 years ago and both times failed miserably. Cursed.

Bruinfishkeeper1

MacZ said:
Tried them 20 years ago and 2 years ago and both times failed miserably. Cursed.
Oh ok lol. Yeah im gonna just give it a go and see if I can keep em alive. Ill let you know how it goes

Freshfishguy

Bruinfishkeeper1 said:
Oh ok lol. Yeah im gonna just give it a go and see if I can keep em alive. Ill let you know how it goes
Otos pretty much only eat soft green algaes like green dust algae, and also diatoms (brown algae). Can you post a pic of the algae you are talking about, I’ve never heard of “black spot” algae.
The most important thing for keeping Otos is to acclimate them slowly to your tank. Drip acclimate them for a minimum of 1 ½ hours and then float them in a bag in the tank for 15 minutes to temp acclimate them. I did this and have lost zero out of 10 Otos within the acclimation and adjustment period of the initial 2 weeks-first month in the tank.

MacZ

Freshfishguy said:
The most important thing for keeping Otos is to acclimate them slowly to your tank. Drip acclimate them for a minimum of 1 ½ hours and then float them in a bag in the tank for 15 minutes to temp acclimate them.
Not a guaranteed success, there are so many factors. I also acclimated them to the water for 2 hours last time.

Freshfishguy

MacZ said:
Not a guaranteed success, there are so many factors. I also acclimated them to the water for 2 hours last time.
Totally, I agree. Still a good idea though. Everyone has their triggerfish haha.

Latest threads

Top Bottom