do not go to bed and not turn the water off! Important

Discussion in 'More Saltwater Aquarium Topics' started by Reefdweller, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ReefdwellerValued MemberMember

Listen up everyone. This is very important. When you are filling a 5 gallon bucket with RO/DI water IN YOUR WASH ROOM ON THE SECOND FLOOR OF YOUR HOUSE.......ummm do not go to bed and not turn the water off.... okay? :;fru

Yes this is what dummy me did last night!! Holy Moly.... I woke to the wife saying "you are flooding the downstairs bathroom!!!" Ugh.... on a lighter note... the wash room was installed with a drain underneath the washer which helped a ton BUT I still have some cleaning up to do, painting down stairs...... not good.... Anyone know where a guy can get a good timer that umm beeps VERY loud?? :helpsmilie:

2. BorngeminiValued MemberMember

Try Amazon or eBay :)

3. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Omg... that's my nightmare....

4. ReefdwellerValued MemberMember

Yeah that was not a good thing at all lol.... I wasnt surprised though because my memory is not the best. We live and learn! I will be getting a timer because If this happens again I am in deep doo doo with the wife lol.....

5. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Okay people lets go over something here

At least you had the drain ;) I have been known to leave the tap on on occasion but generally during a hangover ;)

6. soarlValued MemberMember

I've got a float shutoff valve on order for mine. I plan on setting up a big 58 gallon food grade drum for storing my ro/di water untill it's needed. It was only like 15 bucks on Amazon.

7. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

That is why I have a wash room in the basement with my RO/DI unit and the drain is right below the 30 gallon trash barrel I use for my mix and the other 30 is for my top offs. But like everyone you should be able to get a alarm off of Ebay or Amazon.

8. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Now I don't feel quite so bad. On Monday I started draining my tank for a water change and went into the kitchen to clean off a couple of new plants I bought. Didn't realize the hose had jumped out of the tub onto the bathroom floor. Took every towel in the house and a couple of bed sheets to sop up the mess. The carpet is still wet about 2 feet into the living room. Thank goodness it didn't seep under the tanks.

9. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Use your oven timer, put a reminder in your cell phone, put a note on your pillow, leave the light on in the washroom :)

Depending on how it is rigged up, you could get a garden hose timer too.

I make all my RO outside, for that 'just-in-case' scenario (hasn't happened yet)

10. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Pull up a chair and don't leave the room. That's my answer.;)

11. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

May not need a chair in a washroom :giggle:

Maybe grab a book -
    smiley_reading.gif

That'd be a long time sitting there too.... my RO/DI takes about 1 hour to produce about 8 gallons ;)

12. Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Pull out the old Gameboy color or something.:giggle:

13. mad87manNew MemberMember

i have my unit in the basement near the sink so i put the bucket in the sink so if it overflows it goes in the sink. i have had the hose fall out though and put some water on the floor.

14. MalcolmValued MemberMember

Hi all

Many moons ago when i was in the process of setting up my own saltwater LFS in the UK i dumped 6000 Gallons of water into my store and out into the street, fortunately it was just tapwater that i filled the system with to test for leaks etc, the 4000gph central pump decided it wanted to prove to me that my solvent joining of the 2" feed pipes was not as good as i thought it was, I had filled the system and checked for static leaks for much of the day so in the early afternoon i turned the pumps on and watched for leaks for about another hour, All was fine so i locked up and went to a supplier to pick up all the lighting for the display tanks, This took longer than expected and i was on my way back to my store when i decided to call it a day, it was about 6:30pm so i went home to enjoy my dinner, At 8:30ish the guy who rented an appartment above the store called me to say there was some water coming from under the shop door, I thanked him for calling and after finishing a drink, i made my way over there................................. The "some water" was in fact a constant flow through the weather strip under the door, I opened the door and released a torrent :eek:
    That took me 2 weeks to dry everything out, it had lifted ceramic tiles on the floor, stained the freshly painted walls and soaked the 22 50lb sacks of salt that were stacked ready for the final salt mix.

You would not believe how much solvent i now use on joints :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice