Do not bite the hand that feeds you!

Fish Monster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was just wondering how do you get these guys/girls to eat directly from your hand? is it only the adults who do this? I have seen it done on You Tube and I have read about it as well, but no were does it say the best way to get them to feed from your hand?

I have been trying just to leave my hand in the tank very still while they eat, I have held a cube of Blood worms in my hand and very slowly waved it from side to side trying to intise them, as if you were fishing with a worm on a hook or something like that, but still no sucess. My cobalt who I have had now for two weeks has gotten close to me but he won't even eat from my hand yet.

How long will it take aproximately to get them to do this? I always make sure it is very quite its just me in the room and my wife feeds them during the day while I am at work but I am the primary care giver and I think they know that?

What am I doing wrong every where I read it made it sound like it was easy like oh yeah these fish will eat from your hand and all. lol nothing is ever as easy as it sounds rite?

platy ben

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It will take a while until the fish trusts you and also mainly that the fish understands that the food comes from your hand.
I would say there isn't any way to 'train' them its just about trust.

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So no certain majic way to do it huh? no certain age requirment or anything?

peacemaker92

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Platy Ben. But my Archer, Robin Hood, eats from my hand from time to time. But he's different. He's a very greedy fella! He eats anything and rushes for the food! haha

But still, I guess it's all about trust. Nothing to do with age requirement or anything. Just keep trying to feed them by hand, sooner or later, they'll realize that it's safe. Best of luck!

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks I was kind of hoping there was a trick to it, but I guess all I have to keep doing is to hold he frozen block in my hand and be patient like I have been an sooner or latter it will happen. Like I said it seems my cobalt is inching is way a little closer each time I think he will be the first. Now I am thinking if one takes the leap and the other see well he did not get eating or die then it must be ok for me to do it also, in other words do you think if one does it the others will think it is ok also? or do you think they do not think like that? like youknow that's to much of a complex thought process to much of a humans way of thinking?

platy ben

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think the way fish think is far too under-estimated. That is probably exactly what would happen

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks everyone one for your input now if you could have alook at my other thread about mail orders I am in need of some advice in that thread thank you!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of my blood parrots will eat from my hand but not my husband's. It probably helps that every time I feed the tank, I talk to the fish. I always tap 3 times on the hood, then feed them, so along with my voice, they've also associated that sound with feeding, too.

The next step was dropping pellets. Then eventually holding the pellet for him. It took a few days, then he went for it. Now, the trust is there.

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well maybe I will have to try something similar I usually scream at them ans slam my fist really hard on the side of the tank I don't understand why the hide in the corner after that, lol.

Now I am just kidding of course I am just really quite and I sit very still and I just place my hand in the tank and sit there really quitly and my cobalt get within a few inches but waits to the little pices of BLW starts falling then instead of going for what's in my hand he goes for the other floating bits but it does seem like he is warming up to me, then I am hoping that when he does the other one sees that and say oh he eats from his hand it must be ok for me to also.

joshua 74

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think first they need to get youst to you do they swill around the front of the tank wile your standing there. try and c if they will follow your finger on the other side of the glass its a trust think will come over time.

Slug

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like this?
These fish in the video were around the 3" mark when I had them.

I really couldn't tell you. Real healthy fish should rush the glass wanting food when you walk by. All the discus i've had have naturally eaten out of my hand. I find the young discus much more curious and they throw caution to the wind. Adults tend to be a little more cautious at first but will eventually frenzy the food.

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah that what I am talking about that's what I want my fish are not really scitish but maybe they need more security because I only have two of them at the moment they do not have that group security feeling? cou8ld that be it?

By the way I am getting two more tomarrow anyw ay so that will make a total of four to my ultimate goal of 6 so I am getting there.
When I sit there in front of them they swim around and come up to the glass and all unless there's a sudden movement or something and when I put my hand in the tank I leave it there for the whole feeding and they do not seem to mind, like I said my cobalt the first one I had is starting to come around he gets a few inches away from my hand and then waits for the bits that break off and goes for those oppose to what's in my hand

Now I have only had him for going on two weeks and I have only had the Blue Dimand for going on one week so I have not had them long maybe they need more time to warm up to me, my wife feeds them during the day for me while I am at work and I know she not trying to get them to eat out of her hand but every time I feed them I place my hand in the tank just a couple of inches past my wrist. Maybe after I get the other two tomarrow they will feel more safe with a larger group and maybe that will bring em out of their shells I mean scales?

New Threads