Do neon tetras need a lid?

Loveplantedtanks

Hi all. I've got 10 neons in a 20 tall but I was wanting to move them into a 20 long. The 20 long doesn't come with a lid, do neons need a lid? They're over a year old and will be in the tank with a Bolivian ram.

GlennO

Not particularly known for jumping but any fish can jump if it gets a scare. You can reduce the risk by lowering the water level and adding floating plants but it does not eliminate it.

ruud

I like to believe that if you provide your fish species an environment that resembles their origins, is understocked, and located at a fairly quiet place, fish won't jump (unless it's in the species' nature to disperse or forage in a such a way).

I've kept different species throughout the years, always in open tanks, and never found a specimen outside my tank; but that's personal experience, not science.

Edit: roughly 10 years ago, I found a couple of Norman's Lampeye outside of my tank.

MacZ

I had one cardinal tetra jump on me, but that's all. Astonishingly, right now keeping surface dwelling pencil fish, I have no problems with jumping at all.

StarGirl

I have had a Danio.....but they are crazy!

Marlene327

Hi all. I've got 10 neons in a 20 tall but I was wanting to move them into a 20 long. The 20 long doesn't come with a lid, do neons need a lid? They're over a year old and will be in the tank with a Bolivian ram.
I wish you were close to me, I have a lid! I've never seen my neons jump, but true, you never know.

Yeoy

Any fish can jump. You can make cheap simple lids from sheets of clear perspex from a hardware store and just cut it to size using a handsaw. It's a flexible material that won't break like glass and you can even drill holes in it for air-flow or to attach a handle etc...

Mii

Even though neons aren't known for being jumpers, they still can so I'd get a lid.

Flyfisha

I have lids on all tanks now.
I have had a green neon tetra jump out when doing a water change. Only last month I had a Siamese algae eater jump out when it was feeding time. I can think of another 3 occasions when other species of fish have jumped out.

I am of the opinion that all fish jump.

BigManAquatics

I have lids on all tanks now.
I have had a green neon tetra jump out when doing a water change. Only last month I had a Siamese algae eater jump out when it was feeding time. I can think of another 3 occasions when other species of fish have jumped out.

I am of the opinion that all fish jump.
Certainly are all capable. I just plan on adding lids on all tanks as most of them have snails, too. Not to mention i hear the fish splashing around the top a lot on stormy mornings.

Azedenkae

I have seen so many posts about so many different fish species jumping that I can confidently say, yes you need a lid. Seems like any fish is capable. Even plecos. Sure, it can be rare, but why risk it.

And it does not have to be any particular situation either. Even if they are in the most perfect condition ever, it can be a freak accident that results in fish carpet-surfing.

GlennO

I wouldn’t even contemplate it with my Rainbowfish. Occasionally I hear a loud bang when one hits the glass lid. Better for them to have a headache than to end up on the floor.

With neons the risk would be much lower, but not nil. It’s a decision for the OP to make depending on how much risk they are willing to accept.

ruud

Judging the images of community tanks on this forum, the great number of posts related to cycling, and issues with algea and diseases, I believe most people require a lid to keep fish inside the tank. There is some logic in this message.

If heating your tank is an issue, I would recommend a lid as well. A lid makes a huge difference on temp regulation and some species require a warm, humid climate above the water line.

MacZ

Judging the images of community tanks I see on this forum, the great number of posts related to cycling, and issues with algea and diseases, I believe most people require a lid to keep fish inside the tank. There is some logic in this message.
Made my day.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
darkcat
  • Question
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views