Do Neon Tetras Lose Color At Night Time

ariellelane

Reaction score
my neon tetras are usually bright but i’ve noticed that each time I turn out the light at night the next morning they look slightly pale. I was wondering if that is normal

BReefer97

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ariellelane said:
my neon tetras are usually bright but i’ve noticed that each time I turn out the light at night the next morning they look slightly pale. I was wondering if that is normal
Yes! It’s normal. it’s their resting colors. To put it as simply as possible they have pigment producing cells that when close together make a bright color, but when a fish is resting there’s no need to maintain color and use that energy so those cells spread apart and make the fish dull.

Victoria99

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
BReefer97 said:
Yes! It’s normal. it’s their resting colors. To put it as simply as possible they have pigment producing cells that when close together make a bright color, but when a fish is resting there’s no need to maintain color and use that energy so those cells spread apart and make the fish dull.
Idk why, but there's something about that that's super cute

RSababady

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BReefer97 said:
Didn't realise that......I have always known from the books I have read and wildlife that I have observed, that it is nature's way of protecting animals/fish in the food chain on the one hand and for instinctive reasons of existence (to find a strong mate and partner to breed with), on the other. i.e. at night when fish at the lower end of the food chain rest, they become less active and less alert - therefore they are more subject to being prey or should I say lunch for other animals/fish higher up the food chain. The loss of colour blends them into the background and prey find it harder to see them. On the other hand, during the day when the natural instinct of animals/fish is to breed and multiply, they can show themselves off - after all animals/fish do look for a strong gene provider (looks) and strong physical characteristics - and bright colours are a sign of a healthy specimen.

So thanks - I didn't realise that the colour saturation is actually a result of pigment cells spreading apart. I always thought that it was a result of the intensity of the pigment and not the density of the pigment cells that produce the intensity of the colors.

Lajos

Reaction score
Yes, I think all fish lose their color when sleeping at night.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The pigment cells do not move farther apart. They shrink and expand to suit the fish's needs. They just look further apart when in a contracted state.

BReefer97

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
chromedome52 said:
The pigment cells do not move farther apart. They shrink and expand to suit the fish's needs. They just look further apart when in a contracted state.
I did word that wrong in my effort to simplify it. The cells called chromatophores space out the pigment granules inside of the cells (not the cells themselves like I had thought) making the fish dull. Whenever they’re awake and active the pigment granules inside of the cells group back together making the fish’s colors bright again.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm pretty sure Neon Tetras have little mirrors in their cells in the blue/green stripe that reflect light.

The fish can orientate the mirrors to give more or less light.

I have read the recent scientific paper on the subject (but not retained very much LOL!).

BReefer97

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Redshark1 said:
I'm pretty sure Neon Tetras have little mirrors in their cells in the blue/green stripe that reflect light.

The fish can orientate the mirrors to give more or less light.

I have read the recent scientific paper on the subject (but not retained very much LOL!).
Yup! Those are the chromatophores they’re pigmented granules that also reflect light.

New Threads