Do mystery snails *have* to lay their eggs?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Aquaphobia, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

My mystery snail is suspected to be female and her recent escapes may have been failed attempts to lay eggs. My aquarium is filled to within 1/2" of the rim and they apparently need 3" to do so. I know that reptiles can suffer from egg binding but is that a worry with snails?

2. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Hi, not sure if they can become egg bound but in the past, mine have crawled up and behind a filter to lay eggs, on the underside of the lid and several other unique places.

3. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

Thank-you for the tip! How long do mystery snail eggs take to hatch? I now fear I have zillions of mysteries lurking in the plants :p

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

They take around 10 days to hatch. If you haven't gotten a clutch though, you won't have babies. They can't survive under water when in the eggs. I honestly don't know if they get egg bound or not, your girl will keep trying to escape though.

To add, you'd be able to see them in the tank, they're just whitish about the size of a pin head, they'd be crawling on the glass though.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

Do they look different from the whitish pinheads that are freshwater limpets though? ;)

6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Mine are often yellow or white when first born. These guys are a few days old but you can sort of get the idea. The little blobs are snails, lol. Even when they're little you can see their little spirals (couldn't get a good enough picture to show you :( ) The spiral is darker than the rest of their shells too. You can see their little antennae too when they're on the glass, from day 1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice