Do mystery snails escape from the aquarium?

ZigZag

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I recently got 6 mystery snails. I am paranoid that they will escape the filter opening on the top of my tank. I have been taking a snail count every morning and every night just to make sure. But, my purple ones are difficult to find sometimes. Please tell me they will not escape so I can relax.

Jim

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have found mine on the floor many times and I have covers.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They do have a tendency to go walkabout & somehow can get out of the smallest gaps

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just stuff some filter floss or something in the way. Mine do not usually escape completely, but they do like coming up out of the water, so keeping a lower water level helps.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have a female and she is about to lay an egg clutch, she will go above the water line to try and find a spot. I would keep the water level down a few inches and cover all openings up.

ZigZag

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh great. The worrying will continue. Here is a pic of the areas I'm worried about.

I do have about an inch open on the top of the water. Hopefully my snails will be so happy they won't want to leave.

Attachments

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Usually they only leave to find a place to lay the egg clutch. If you have some saran wrap, you can cover the holes.
Looks like the water level is good

ZigZag

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks!

Scoutsfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry to kinda intrude but I have this same question, however mine has no cover/lid. I'm thinking of getting one or two for my 3 gallon walstad bowl but it doesn't have a cover(mainly because it's a bowl and has just been cherry shrimp so with the water level down an inch or so they've been fine)... Would they be okay? If not what could I do to make it so they are?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads