Do My Water Parameters Look Okay? About 2 Weeks Through A Fish-in Cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruthvsreality

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
45A79701-1F96-4E7C-8DA8-88BCC47CF63E.jpeg
Certainly not doing fish-in again, but did this time because the person at the store said it was fine. anyways, do these parameters look okay? I’ve been changing the water by 20-25% twice daily, and have been adding seachem prime and a tiny bit of fluval cycle.

Just want to make sure there’s nothing glaringly obvious I’m missing. It’s weird that I’ve had plenty of ammonia and nitrates, but no nitrites (though admittedly I only started testing for them a week ago).

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore.

Fish store employees want to sell you fish, hence the recommendation that fish-in cycles are fine.

That method is not the end of the world, but fish'less cycle is usually preferred, ha.

Have you only been using the Fluval Cycle?

How long has the tank been running?

Size of tank and stocking?

OP
ruthvsreality

ruthvsreality

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to fishlore.

Fish store employees want to sell you fish, hence the recommendation that fish-in cycles are fine.

That method is not the end of the world, but fish'less cycle is usually preferred, ha.

Have you only been using the Fluval Cycle?

How long has the tank been running?

Size of tank and stocking?
5g, 2 platies (I know it's snug, I'm getting them a bigger tank as soon as I can).

I've also been using seachem prime.

the tank has been running for about two weeks.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Seachem Prime is the way to go. Most people on forum use it, as do myself. Very concentrated.

0.1mL Prime treats 1 gallon water
1.0mL Prime treats 10 gallons water
5.0mL Prime = 50 gallon treated water

If you get some, I recommend obtaining a 1.0 mL and 5.0mL plastic syringe. Grocery stores or pharmacies have them. The pharmacist will probably just give you a few.

Using those makes it easier to dose the Prime, and you have zero waste by only using exactly what you need.

Keep up with your water monitoring.

Looks like your cycle process is under way, but not finished yet.

I noticed you said you have a 5g and may get another tank.

If you do, that 5g would make a perfect betta tank.

Fishwifery

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I second the Prime, and frequent water changes to keep ammonia in check. Expect ammonia to drop and nitrite to increase as the cycle continues, and then nitrate will increase. At the end ammonia and nitrite will be zero with some level of nitrates. It may be a couple more weeks to get to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom