Do my corys have ich?

Bettanewb78

So I did what I know I'm not supposed to do and impulsively bought a betta fish and put her in my 29gal community. She died about 10days later, she was very active and curious most of the time but I noticed her laying on top of the pre-filter sponge a couple days before the end. A couple days after that I saw what looked like white sand on one of my Venezuelan corys, I do have fine sand in part of the tank but it didn't seem to be shifting or brushing off. The next day I saw more and started ich treatment with Ich-X. I'm on day 3 now and was looking at pictures and the ich I Googled looks a bit larger than the small white spots I'm seeing. I've added a picture and I'm hoping someone can tell me if this could be something else. TIA

Attachments

• 20210801_211205.jpg
    20210801_211205.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 29

Tankseeker

That’s not ich it is columnaris
Which is a fugal infection of sorts
Treat it by adding tannins from Indian almond leaves and adding anti fungal medication ich medication would do pretty much nothing
And Venezuelan corys are my dream fish but they are way too expensive for me right now

Bettanewb78

Thanks so much I'll start reading up on that! I feel so stupid, this tank has like 7 juvenile Venezuelans and a bunch of other fish. Poor things, I hope I can get the tank healthy
I've done a little more research and so far the thing it looks most like is epistylis. I tried to get better pictures. I can't find the 2 fish I saw earlier with many spots so I don't know if the ich-x and heat are working or if those fish are hiding in the plants. From what I'm reading the heat treatment for ich will accelerate columnaris and I'm only just starting to read about epistylis. Seem salt is good treatment for all of them so I'm thinking I may try a lower concentration of that. I have Venezuelan, Paleatus and pygmy cories in this tank, along with lampeye killifish and neocardinia blue dream shrimp. Any further information would be much appreciated
20210804_212722.jpg

Attachments

• 20210804_211523.jpg
    20210804_211523.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210804_213346.jpg
    20210804_213346.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 15

Tankseeker

Noo don’t use salt for corydoras they are super sensitive to it because they are scaleless
I can’t tell if you have ich too could be just sand
I have experience with columnaris on a Cory ,although it wasn’t as bad just a small patch I used Indian almond leaves to treat and I haven’t seen it since
I don’t think it is epistyles since it’s a patch where epistyles is a whole body thing
Btw how much did you pay for your Venezuelan corys also where I can’t seem to find any
Also do you have a quarantine tank?

Bettanewb78

Noo don’t use salt for corydoras they are super sensitive to it because they are scaleless
I can’t tell if you have ich too could be just sand
I have experience with columnaris on a Cory ,although it wasn’t as bad just a small patch I used Indian almond leaves to treat and I haven’t seen it since
I don’t think it is epistyles since it’s a patch where epistyles is a whole body thing
Btw how much did you pay for your Venezuelan corys also where I can’t seem to find any
Also do you have a quarantine tank?
I found my corys at my LFS and bought 3, I think I paid $12.50 for them and didn't realize what a deal I was getting. Went back looking for more but they were out and the owner said they usually go for about $30 so he doesn't get them in often. I didn't tell him how much I paid, lest I get someone in trouble. I didn't quarantine my betta that passed away. I've since bought 2 10g tanks, one for quarantine and one for plants/backup media. I won't add fish without quarantining again. Even tho I'm doing the treatment I can see the spots spreading. I haven't lost any corys as far as I can tell and my schooling fish look ok. This has been an important lesson if nothing else. I won't add salt but I did add a bunch of Indian almond leaves

Tankseeker

You could try adding a anti bacterial medication and do 50% water changes daily
Sorry for late reply
Anti fungal sorry

DoubleDutch

To be honest in the most pics I only see sandgrains covering a fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
madampleco
Replies
Views
bree78
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies