Do my corys bellies look alright?

marmaaa

I have 6 cories in the tank and these 2 have weird bellies? The albino's belly looks more normal than the other one but I wanna double check. I will say the cherry barbs do hog their shrimp pellets a lot even when I feed them seperately but if anyone can make sure they look fine and its not something else, that would be great!

My 4 other cories are a bit bigger than them, these 2 are probably the smallest cories in the tank. Could it just be food?

1618624018489.png

1618624051374.png

Broggy

ive noticed the males tend to be very skinny, and thats pretty normal. the females are fat because they produce lots of eggs and breed routinely. no matter how much food I bomb the tank with, the males never seem to puff up like the females. but ill let someone else look at them and see if they can see anything wrong with them.

marmaaa

Broggy said:
ive noticed the males tend to be very skinny, and thats pretty normal. the females are fat because they produce lots of eggs and breed routinely. but ill let someone else look at them and see if they can see anything wrong with them.
thank you, im pretty sure theyre both males as well but I just want to make sure theyre healthy and its not parasites.

anyones elses input on this would be great!

Oriongal

They look like they have rounded bellies in those pics, look fine to me also.

When a cory is thin you'll usually see it in the tail area as well, it will look thin/poorly muscled through that area.

For an example, this was one that I'm guessing had an internal parasite, it was eating but still thin. It's the lighter-colored one in these pics, toward the back in the first pic and to the front in the 2nd. Look at it especially from dorsal fin to tail fin:

20210416_213457.jpg

20210416_213543.jpg

Then a later pic (it went downhill pretty fast), should make the body-proportion aspect even clearer. Even at this stage it could still have a somewhat normal-looking belly (could if it's swollen, or if it's still eating but a parasite is robbing all the nutrients), but you can still see it's emaciated by the head-to-body-to-tail proportions.

20210416_213630.jpg

marmaaa

Oriongal said:
They look like they have rounded bellies in those pics.

When a cory is thin you'll usually see it in the tail area as well, it will look thin/poorly muscled through that area.

For an example, this was one that I'm guessing had an internal parasite, it was eating but still thin. It's the lighter-colored one in these pics, toward the back in the first pic and to the front in the 2nd. Look at it especially from dorsal fin to tail fin:

20210416_213457.jpg

20210416_213543.jpg

Then a later pic (it went downhill pretty fast), should make the body-proportion aspect even clearer. Even at this stage it could still have a somewhat normal-looking belly (could if it's swollen, or if it's still eating but a parasite is robbing all the nutrients), but you can still see it's emaciated by the head-to-body-to-tail proportions.

20210416_213630.jpg
thank you for the pics and info! im still a bit confused about my cories tail area? Do they look normal then? if one had parasites, wouldnt they all? The rest look completely fine just plump like a female cory would. I assume these are the only 2 males in my tank since they are smaller than the other 4.

Oriongal

marmaaa said:
thank you for the pics and info! im still a bit confused about my cories tail area? Do they look normal then? if one had parasites, wouldnt they all? The rest look completely fine just plump like a female cory would. I assume these are the only 2 males in my tank since they are smaller than the other 4.
Yours look fine to me.

Was just showing what (else) to look for if you're concerned, to say that belly isn't the only thing to look at.

A fish can arrive with an internal parasite and die before the parasite has an opportunity to release its eggs or larva. Also some parasites don't have direct life cycles, meaning some have intermediate life stages in other creatures and if those creatures aren't present it can't reproduce.

Like some flukes and worms reach maturity only in the gut of a bird (that has eaten the infected fish), and the eggs are excreted back into the water with the bird's feces. Some also need another intermediate stop in a snail, or small crustacean like an amphipod. A fish that was farmed in an open-air pond, or was wild-caught, could have that kind of multi-stage parasite but couldn't pass it on in an aquarium environment.

marmaaa

Oriongal said:
Yours look fine to me.

Was just showing what (else) to look for if you're concerned, to say that belly isn't the only thing to look at.

A fish can arrive with an internal parasite and die before the parasite has an opportunity to release its eggs or larva. Also some parasites don't have direct life cycles, meaning some have intermediate life stages in other creatures and if those creatures aren't present it can't reproduce.

Like some flukes and worms reach maturity only in the gut of a bird (that has eaten the infected fish), and the eggs are excreted back into the water with the bird's feces. Some also need another intermediate stop in a snail, or small crustacean like an amphipod. A fish that was farmed in an open-air pond, or was wild-caught, could have that kind of multi-stage parasite but couldn't pass it on in an aquarium environment.
ah okay, thank you for clarifying! i looked at more pics of healthy corys and they look very similar to mines. I think i over-worry too much lol

Oriongal

marmaaa said:
ah okay, thank you for clarifying! i looked at more pics of healthy corys and they look very similar to mines. I think i over-worry too much lol
Just means you care about them and want to do your best for them, which is a good thing. I can be the same when keeping a species I haven't kept previously, even among cory species; a little anxious until I know better what is normal for them.

DoubleDutch

The aeneus albino is healthy. What you see is the breast(skute). The peppered cuuld be a bit fatter.

marmaaa

DoubleDutch said:
The aeneus albino is healthy. What you see is the breast(skute). The peppered cuuld be a bit fatter.
thank you! I try feeding my cories alone but i swear to god my cherry barbs are HOGS. Maybe Ill try feeding him once lights are off in the back with the rest of the cories. Hopefully it will fatten him up a bit.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom