Do Mollies have color preferences? Question 

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just came back from a weekend away and came home to a deceased black molly. The tank is still new and on its way to being cycled(I know what you are thinking, but I am doing the best I can from a bum pet store start).

my question is this, I am down to one black molly, and I was never 100% sure, but it always seemed the orange mollies stuck together, the dalmation pair stuck together and the black pair stuck together. should I try and get another black molly or does it matter?

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IMO, I wouldn't do anything until the tank was 100% cycled. That is more than likely what killed your fish. As for color I don't think it really matters as long as one if male and one is female. Males will fight each other.

I am sure you will get more post from people who have been keeping fish longer than me. Lets wait to see what they have to say.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Live Bearers/Molly section of the forum.

Thanks!
Ken

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My black and marbled mollies hang out together. Also, I have fry that are black, dalmatian, and even orange. They're all good buddies.

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I appreciate all the feedback but unfortunately my last black molly died the other night. I wonder if it was a bad batch from petco. All my other fish are happy and thriving, but I lost these 3 over the course of 10 days. Woke up and the snail were feasting on its carcass.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Petco fish are a crapshoot. If I buy at Petco/Petsmart I always expect to lose some of them. If you can get the fish to last through the first two weeks, they'll probably last a long time.

jclee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree that the most likely culprit is the uncycled tank, so finish the cycle before adding any more. From what I understand, mollies are a species that actually prefer a lightly salted tank. Have you had a chance to read this yet?:

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes I read that. I was salting the tank, but after research and much advice here I found that most other fish don't do well with salt. Especially my corries and eel. So I stopped using salt a while ago.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads