Do meds kill the bacteria in seeded filter media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do meds kill the bacteria colony that is already established in the filter media?

I have two panda corys with what I suspect to be a white fungus on their bodies so I removed them and put them in my hospital tank that's running on a Eheim Liberty HOB filter. I removed the carbon pad and then added API Fungus Cure. It says repeat dosage after 48 hours, wait another 48 hours then do a 25% water change.

My question is: Would the meds destroy the beneficial bacteria? If so, would it help to add Seachem Stability in with the meds to introduce bacteria? I'm lost at this. I'm not feeding the fish until after the 96 hours, they aren't eating anyway. So I'm not sure if the meds have killed the bacteria.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO, most meds will kill the bacteria....and anytime you treat a fish in a qt tank, id throw out all the media and re cycle it with your established tank....you dont want meds/illness's left over hanging out in any of your media or you take a chance of your next fish getting sick who uses the qt tank..

OP
H

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay I guess discarding media is simple enough. What should I do if I was using a sponge filter instead? How do I prevent anything staying in the sponge?

I was thinking washing it out with tap water but I'm not sure.

Merged back to back posts.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
H

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, now it's a hospital tank but I would use the same tank in the future as a QT when introducing new fish.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Hopefully you won't have to keep your hospital tank/Quarantine tank set up and running around the clock.

Personally I would trash the sponge and replace it with new.

Keep additional media in your main tanks filter or in the main tank itself for emergencies.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.3%

Top Bottom