Do mats spread?

Jheila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Simple enough, do plant mats spread, or stay in the mat? I'm looking at a 10 by 10" glosso mat for my 30 gal since all my plants were covered in algae and had to be removed.

Also, has anyone bought these mats before? Mines in my own state, so I can't imagine shipping ruining it, but do they actually look good?

Thank you!

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've bought them. You have to break them apart to get them planted.

If you had issues with your other plants, you may have big problems with glosso. You need a lot of light, CO2 and dry ferts to keep it alive and carpet for you.

If you have the equipment to keep it alive, I would just buy several pots of it and grow it emersed to start out. The mats are more of a pain then they are worth if you ask me. The roots are very compacted and hard to break apart without damaging them.

DTurner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey man. I have not done anything with glosso. However you must look at how the plant propagates. It's a foreground plant and propagates via runners.

So no the mat will not stay 10 x 10.

If you are wanting to carpet the tank mossy people will cut the mat into smaller sections such as 1 inch squares and plant those through the tank. Over time you will get a nice carpet.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Jheila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have enough light on half the tank, which is where I mainly want the plant to stay, the other half is mostly driftwood. I do have liquid Co2, but I never used it, my plants almost always did fine without it. (though I did have worse algae without it... hmmm)
I was going to buy some nerite snails, they usually scrubbed my plants clean, and theyre cute
I don't know though, I have huge issues planting potted plants, getting rid of the wool and getting them to stay in the substrate is such a pain. I bought a hairgrass one before, but it fit the tank perfectly, so I never knew if it would spread.

I would do emersed, the last time I did that it worked wonders, but this tank has a crayfish that cant go in any of my betta tanks without, erm, casualties.

Jheila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hm, I dide buy a hairgrass one before, and I couldn't for the life of me cut it. Maybe I'm just weak xD
I think I'll just leave the mat alone and let it spread on its own.

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Without pressurized CO2 your wasting your money. It won't stay alive for you without it and dry ferts.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom