Do Male Guppies Harass Each Other?

1. Photobelle

Photobelle Valued Member Member

We are stocking our tank and got 4 males guppies sat. 2 snow white, 1 fancy and 1 blue Moscow. They definitely chase each other around, but is this normal or are they harassing each other? These are our first guppies and we don't want babies. A few times the 2 white one have been face to face but once again I don't know what is normal. They were in all male tanks at the store

2. Bearwithfish

Bearwithfish Valued Member Member

How big of a tank are they in? Are there plants or structures for them to hide in? This will help slow it down a bit.

I typically suggest over stocking them a bit also to help distribute the agression a bit.

3. OP
    OP
    Photobelle

They are in a 20 long and I have fake and real plants, driftwood etc. None of them go to the tops and they stay more towards the top.

4. Bearwithfish

They will work it out. I would not be too concerned personally.

5. OP
    OP
    Photobelle

Ok good. I was hoping so.

6. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

When I had my 5 male guppys they were fine until it got down to 2. Its kinda rare to get a super aggressive guppy i find. But when doing all males I suggest the more the better to lessen the aggression.

7. OP
    OP
    Photobelle

I was hoping 4 was a good number. Should we get more?

8. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

whats the plan for the tank stocking? You can always get more depending on the stocking

9. OP
    OP
    Photobelle

We currently have 5 long fin panda cories, 3 platies and the 4 guppies. 2 nerite snails as well. The plan is to get a school of 6 glofish danios and be done.

10. OP
    OP
    Photobelle

Attached Files:

11. Bearwithfish

Now that is a prettytank. Well done!

12. Brannor

Brannor Valued Member Member

Our 4 adults were in a community tank with plenty of girls to chase... then they got put in their own tank with no girls... I gave up trying to medicate their tails as the two biggest blue-tailed ones are now all ragged... We've recently moved a bunch of male juveniles into their tank, so will see how that goes. Seems that once a male guppy has been amongst the girls for a while, he can't help but keep looking for one...

-G