Do Male Gouramis Stop Eating When Making Nests? Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by LuckyGourami, Aug 25, 2019.

1. LuckyGourami

LuckyGouramiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    2 years
    Blue, my Dwarf Gourami, has been hanging out near the surface blowing bubbles almost continually for the past 24 hours. I was worried that my cycle somehow crashed, but all tests came back normal. Then, I noticed that the bubbles were gathering along one edge of the tank, and now I am pretty sure he is just making a bubble nest.

What concerns me is that he is not eating. The last time I saw him eat anything was yesterday. I usually feed him twice a day, with a fast one day a week. He always eats what I offer him. Today, when I showed him his favorite food jar, he looked at it and got a little excited, but when I offered him food, he basically ignored it and went back to blowing bubbles. Even now, he takes a gulp of air and blows a bubble every 15 seconds or so. He seems healthy, his scales look fine, and he is swimming normally. If anything, he just seems very preoccupied with making his nest, almost as if he is in a trance. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it last?

Blue lives with his snail buddy in a 5-gallon planted tank. The tank has been established for nearly a year with no big changes for the past several months. 78 degrees F.
    0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate. I did a water change as a precaution.

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,999
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Giving this a bump up for hope our gourami keepers can answer your questions today

3. OP
    OP
    LuckyGourami

LuckyGouramiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thank you, but I'm sorry to report that Blue has passed away. I had him for a year. Not sure what this was, but I know these fish have genetic issues. It's a shame such beautiful animals have been bred so irresponsibly. I just take solace in the fact that Blue was always very happy and energetic. I only had him for a year, but it was a good year.

Become a Fishlore Member