Question Do Livebearers Develop Eggs Without A Male?

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Weird question, heh?
I have 3 female platies in my 46 gallon community tank. One of them I bought pregnant about a year and a half ago, the other one is her daughter, born in my tanks and the 3rd one was given to me when she was a fry. The first one hasn't been in contact with a male since I got her and her daughter and the 3rd one haven't been in contact with males since they were old enough to sex them and separate from their brothers (over a year ago).
However mom and daughter seem to be full of eggs regularly. I can tell because they are yellow and I can see the eggs. The 3rd one is red and although she looks fat, I can't see the eggs if she has them.
The only other livebearer in that tank is a male guppy and although he chases them all the time, I know they can't crossbreed.

Now, do female livebearers develop and discard eggs regularly or do they need a male to start the process at all? Or is the courtship from the guppy making them "get ready" even if the can't mate?

I'm guessing female livebearers develop eggs that may be discarded or reabsorbed if not fertilized.

Today I saw the daughter platy very big and her gravid spot was dark, unlike usual when I can see clear eggs which seemed odd to me.

I'm not expecting platy/guppy hybryds, as I said, I know these species do not crossbreed. I just want to know about livebearer egg development.

Thanks!
Joe

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmmm very interesting. I don’t know the answer but I would like some pictures :)
I'll have to post them tomorrow. I tried to catch the daughter to get some photos, but the tank is planted and I have driftwood, I couldn't catch her and she is hiding now. I'll try tomorrow at feeding time.

Leilio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know that some female livebearer can store the sperm of males up to six months. It is also possible that the male guppy cross breed with your platy, sometimes it can happen. pulled from the internet "if you want to breed livebearers, then you should keep one species per tank. Or keep species that don't hybridise, ie: guppies and platies, or swordtails and mollies."

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know that some female livebearer can store the sperm of males up to six months. It is also possible that the male guppy cross breed with your platy, sometimes it can happen. pulled from the internet "if you want to breed livebearers, then you should keep one species per tank. Or keep species that don't hybridise, ie: guppies and platies, or swordtails and mollies."
Exactly, guppies and platies can't hybridize. That's what I have in my tank.

esqueff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Guppy’s and Molly’s can hybridize as well as platys can with swordtails. But that’s it.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm guessing female livebearers develop eggs that may be discarded or reabsorbed if not fertilized, but I'd like to know for sure :)

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, ovoviviparous livebearer females don't need a male to develop eggs. That's just nature.

It's not actually the difference between genera but guppies and platies can't hybridize because the genitals are just not compatible. A male of the other species may chase a female of another kind the whole day and try to mate but an actual mating won't take place in this case.

What Leilio mentioned overhere that sperm can be stored by females up to 6 months ain't correct. They can even store it for over a year. Only the quality of the sperm will reduce when being stored for so long.

And yes, eggs can be discarded or even reabsorbed by the female in certain circumstances.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you very much for the information. Exactly what I was looking for.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom