Do liquid tannin products expire?

tum0r

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My mother has been in the hobby for 20+ years and at some point she bought "Black Water Expert" by Kent Marine. She didn't use it all and about half the bottle remains— ironically now that I am officially in the hobby, I too want to do a blackwater tank. The problem is, the bottle doesn't have an expiry date, and there's nothing to indicate the year she purchased it.
The ingredients are deionized water, naturally derived humins and tannins, vitamin B⌄2, B⌄6, B⌄12, pantothenol, biotin, and preservatives; as they were listed on the bottle. Are any of these ingredients suspect of being harmful upon expiry or even possible to expire?

skippyenthalpy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not any that I would know of. My parents had a small tank 5 years before I got mine and i've used their old food and water conditioners with no problems. Not sure about the chemicals you have. You may want to buy a knew bottle just in case. It might not be that its poisonous for the fish, it might just be that it doesn't work anymore.

OP
tum0r

tum0r

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
skippyenthalpy said:
Not any that I would know of. My parents had a small tank 5 years before I got mine and i've used their old food and water conditioners with no problems. Not sure about the chemicals you have. You may want to buy a knew bottle just in case. It might not be that its poisonous for the fish, it might just be that it doesn't work anymore.
Thank you for your input, I probably will end up going and buying a new bottle. I'm just curious as to whether I can get any use out of the remaining product. I think you're right in thinking it's less likely to be harmful, but is likely to simply be useless at this point.

New Threads