Do Limnophila sessiliflora send runners out ?

Blacksheep1

I was under the impression this plant wouldn’t send out runners , although now I say that I’m not sure why I thought that. It’s rapidly becoming one of my favourite plants in this tank so the more the merrier. Anywho, is this a runner ? If I cut and re plant will it grow roots being a stem plant ? I don’t want to use root tabs in this tank , substrate is flora base pro. Thankyou in advance.

0395557D-784B-46C7-9BC0-A1DB96703E9C.jpeg

TClare

It looks like a new shoot from the main stem, and yes it will grow roots if you cut it off and plant it. As will the tops that you cut off when they grow too long. It doesn’t need root tabs.

devsi

As will the tops that you cut off when they grow too long.

By this, do you mean you can snip the plant anywhere and replant it, and it will grow? You don't need to snip it at a root?

TClare

By this, do you mean you can snip the plant anywhere and replant it, and it will grow? You don't need to snip it at a root?
Yes, you don't have to wait for roots to appear, just cut it where you want and stick it into the substrate. Sometimes its a bit tricky getting it to stay planted at first, I find holding it gently in place with a small stone helps while it takes root.

devsi

Yes, you don't have to wait for roots to appear, just cut it where you want and stick it into the substrate.
Nice! I had actually tried this before, with this plant, and it just died so I assumed that wasn't the way to propagate it.

But I'm definitely going to try again as this is my favourite plant.
Sometimes its a bit tricky getting it to stay planted at first, I find holding it gently in place with a small stone helps while it takes root.
I tend to just smother it with gravel haha :)

Blacksheep1

It looks like a new shoot from the main stem, and yes it will grow roots if you cut it off and plant it. As will the tops that you cut off when they grow too long. It doesn’t need root tabs.
Thankyou for that ! I’ve noticed two others as well so I’m hoping I’ll have tonnes soon with any luck. Now how to get them to grow straight is another issue ….
But I'm definitely going to try again as this is my favourite plant.
I believe you need a certain amount ( above 5cm possibly ??) and the original plant will then grow two stems and so ends up bushier. I personally have no issue with that but the more you know …

devsi

I believe you need a certain amount ( above 5cm possibly ??) and the original plant will then grow two stems and so ends up bushier. I personally have no issue with that but the more you know …

Oh that is interesting! I've been getting them at the roots and replanting to make them propagate, so this way will definitely be interesting :)

I'm trying to cover the entire back of my tank with it haha.

Blacksheep1

Oh that is interesting! I've been getting them at the roots and replanting to make them propagate, so this way will definitely be interesting :)

I'm trying to cover the entire back of my tank with it haha.
I’ve read that if rooted plants put out roots higher up the stem they are trying to get more nutrients . I am in no way an expert what so ever so I may get corrected here ! But I suppose it does help to get a head start on the propagating process if it has at least some roots to start with. I love this plant, so bright and bushy . When things have settled I’ll be making this tank into a shrimp tank so it’s perfect for them to hide and forage in

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sorey
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
  • Question
Replies