Do Larger Rainbow Fish Bully The Smaller Versions (juveniles) When Kept In A Tank Together Question

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Rdrb, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Rdrb

RdrbValued MemberMember

Hi I have a total of 10 tanks. In a 30 g tank I have two dwarf neon rainbow males and in another recent 75g I hav some smaller versions of them 4 of them in which 3 are female and 1 is Male my question would be that if I relocate the big males to the larger tank will they harass them (both tanks are well planted but still more work to doin the 75g adding more fish etc) also I have swordtails in my 75 g will they be a problem

2. LynnwoodFishDad

LynnwoodFishDadValued MemberMember

As long as you have space and at least as many females as males, they should be ok. I have a larger dwarf male and he “bullies” all my other dwarf rainbows but there is no nipping or damage. They have very interesting courting behaviors and seem to have a strong hierarchy developed. I’m not sure, but I think this is normal behavior for them so I don’t stress. They all eat and swim! ;^)

3. OP
    OP
    Rdrb

RdrbValued MemberMember

S
    So could I try adding the adult males or wait for the juveniles to grow in the larger tank

4. LynnwoodFishDad

LynnwoodFishDadValued MemberMember

What’s the size difference currently? Given the size of the tank and high number of females, you should be good IMO.

5. OP
    OP
    Rdrb

RdrbValued MemberMember

Well I have the two dwarf neon in a 29 g community tank and they are well there I recently got a 75 g I think which might be 2 plus months old which has juvenile

and swordtails I wanted to increase the stocking also there might be 2 Male swords and 6 females the SIZe of rainbow fish in 29 g is the max adult Male size and here they are sorta fingerling size (pretty small compared to them two)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019