Do Kuhlis eat snails?

Stradius011
I was just wondering if KuhlI loaches eat snails? I need a snail-eater in my aquarium with a light bioload.

Tom
I think that only the botia ones eat the snails(or at least that is what I hav been told). The coolies are just neat looking fish and like to be kept in groups.
Tom

Stradius011
Oh ok, thanks.

Butterfly
Tom is correct, to the best of my knowledge only the botia loaches eat snails.
Carol

Tom
Tom is correct, to the best of my knowledge only the botia loaches eat snails.
Carol
I can't believe I was right about the botia. I had only assumed based on the pics of the other loaches. Wow.
Tom

Butterfly
LOL Tom! I think it has something to do with the shape of their faces. Botia having the kind of pointy face can get to and suck the snails out easier
Carol

Tom
My clown loach doesn't suck out the snails but crushes the shell than the dwarf loaches zoom in and eat it all up. It is really cute to watch.
Tom

Sam Livingston
If need something to eat your snails puffers are the best choice, many puffers will go through about 75 a week.

0morrokh
If need something to eat your snails puffers are the best choice, many puffers will go through about 75 a week.

Puffers can't be kept with other fish though.

Sam Livingston
Not necessarily, can't judge book by it's cover, my puffer has been with angel fish, hatchet fish, platy's, guppies, crabs, crawdads, and rainbow shark, and it never bothered any of them and vice versa. The snails on the other hand... they don't like the puffer too much

armadillo
I agree with Sam. We're keeping our puffers with kuhlis and shrimps and things are fine. Since we've gotten new, younger puffers, they've started attacking the otos, though.

But indeed puffers are not good community fish and, like bettas, can only be kept with certain types of fish with no guarantee of success. So puffers would not be a good candidate to put in your community tank to get rid of the snails there.
Puffers can't be kept with other fish though.

0morrokh
But indeed puffers are not good community fish and, like bettas, can only be kept with certain types of fish with no guarantee of success. So puffers would not be a good candidate to put in your community tank to get rid of the snails there.

That was more what I was meaning...don't want one in a general community. I was assuming Stradius's tank is a typical community tank.

Butterfly
Guys and gals this thread was started in June, do we need to start a new thread to discuss this instead of reviving an old thread?
Carol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cdwag29
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies