Do Insects Like Aquariums?

1. Fredbetta86

Fredbetta86 Well Known Member Member

Ok so weird question here but I'm wondering if I need to worry about insects like spiders or silverfish crawling into my aquariums? I saw a silverfish tonight in the room where I have my tanks and I tried to kill it but it was too fast. By the way for those that don't know I'm talking about the insect "silverfish". I have lids on my tanks but there are still small areas where the heater and filter are that aren't covered. Has anybody ever had an issue with insects or do most insects stay away from water?

2. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

I don't think there'll be a problem with silverfish getting into your tank. What type of fish are in there? Besides the fact most insects don't swim, they are also food for the lucky inhabitants of the tank.

I often throw spiders, flies, silverfish, and whatever else I whack at around the house into my tanks. My killifish always loves a snack, but if I throw it into a different tank, my gouramis, cichlids, and guppies all thank me too. In fact (ahh, don't tell the neighbors) but I harvest mosquito larvae out of a bucket in my back yard for my tanks.

Trust me, there is nothing wrong with a silverfish getting into your tank. Let's just say that it won't be getting out.

3. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

Thank you for the info! I have Betta Fish, I just think that if they did get ahold of them as a snack it would be one big snack haha. Some of those silver fish get pretty big. That's really my only concern. Wish I could find some mosquito larvae too because I know my Bettas would love it.

4. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

leave a bucket with water outside...you will have tonnes of larvae

5. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

Really?? I live in Southern California.. would it still work?

6. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

not familiar with that country. If yo have mosquitoes and the temperature doesn't get to freezing point it should work but i wouldn't advise it since the fish can pick up parasites and stuff from the larvae

7. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Depends on the climate. I know that mosquito season for me starts just after it starts raining in summer. I have a little tote of maybe 30-40 lts that is full of mosquito larvae. I can harvest everyday a full scoop of mosquito larvae to feed my tiger barbs and mollies. I have been feeding them mosquito larvae for about a month now and I havent had a problem with parasites, even if they get parasites you will not even notice it in healthy fish.

To answer your question, some insects do like aquariums, like dragonfly, their larvae can kill small fish, usually fry but you are very unlikely to have one put eggs inside your aquarium lol. Most household insects are not attracted to aquariums and are either food or will just float/die when they enter the aquarium.

8. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Yup. I live in Orange county (socal) and I get TONS! Just make sure to get all the larvae before they hatch ;)

9. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

You mean before they morph into mosquitoes. An outdoor container of undisturbed water should get mosquito larvae anywhere where there are mosquitoes (of course they should be in season but that is also the "where there are mosquitoes" part. It's not even a question of "will it work".

Aquariums do get other kinds of bugs/insects/creepy crawlies, but those are water-based, not terrestrial. I don't know how they get there but somehow in certain conditions, they show up. This includes things like worms, water fleas, etc. I can buy the whole algae appearing out of nowhere because we think of them as plants but they're not exactly plants, more like some kind of bacteria life form. But for worms and fleas, they are more advanced life forms than bacteria but yet they can still appear in a tank that seems to not have had any thing that the worms or fleas come from. Now if you say the eggs are in the water we put in the tank then that's just gross because that's the same water we might drink or cook with.

10. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Feeding fish insects falls in their true diet and they love live food. Silverfish will not willingly go into the tank but are frequently found in areas of high moisture like fish rooms. Harvesting mosquitos is illegal throughout the US but makes such a great source of food.

11. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I have issues with stinkbugs, which my fish will not eat. I have mayfly larvae (raised one to adulthood, a weird brown green colored one) occasionally, but i haven't noticed any fish being harmed by them. Otherwise anything that gets into the tanks that I don't notice becomes food.