Do Indian Dwarf Shrimp/"Rainbow Shrimp" need salt to breed?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Does anyone know? I do not really know exactly what species my shrimp are but they are one of the Caridina species sometimes sold as Rainbow Shrimp. They look a lot like the Indian Dwarf Shrimp pics at but actually I think mine may be a different species than the ones pictured as they have a more pronounced stripe as well as a tendency to be reddish rather than greenish in color. Well, enough of my rambling, does anyone know if their babies need saltwater to survive, or can they breed in freshwater?

Toddnbecka

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure, but the obvious solution is to wait and see if they produce any baby shrimp. If they carry eggs but no new shrimp appear, I'd say it's likely they require salt for the larvae to survive.

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
None of mine seem to by carrying eggs yet, so we'll see...

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
Good morning, I have been looking into shrimp, and snails lately to hopefully start adding some to my aquarium.   In my travels through cyberspace I have found that good information can be found through the places that sell what you want, because they want you to be successful.  One such site is    I had such fun finding a place that will fill most of my shrimp and snail wishes, and at a good price.  I feel they would be able to answer all your questions.
Have a great day.  

From the Frozen North  +2 This Morning !

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm, unless I am thinking of something else, I believe Az Gardens has a bad rep... Thanks for the link though.

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I did just mean they also have some information that might answer some questions. Not that I have ordered from them, and I will certainly be careful if I ever do. I worry about any mail order place, to tell you the truth. Kind of taking a risk any time, since what we want is live, and it is a lot to ask to transport thousands of miles. :

Fish in the Frozen North! 0 and falling fast tonight!

SMBC

Reaction score
  I have been thinking of ordering some Shrimp on-line, but I too am leery of buying live off the internet, 'cause of the long distance shipping.......  But if we think about it, 99.9% of our LFS's don't have hatcheries with in 1000 miles.. so really same diff... sorta eased my mind... a lil...   :-\

New Threads