Do i trust my heater or my thermometer?

Pheesh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have an aqueon 10 gallon heater that came in the set and a boyu sticker thermometer while the aqueon heater says it is set at 76 the thermometer says it is in the 78-80 range (Fahrenheit) which one do i trust??

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Firstly (and I'm sure other members will back me up), stick-on thermometers are a guage at best, and should not be considered accurate. For a few dollars you can get a glass thermometer that is more accurate.

As for which one to trust, well that's hard. In your situation I wouldn't trust the sticker, but in general, a thermometer will be more accurate.

Heaters that are "set" (non-adjustable) are generally designed to raise the temp a few degrees above ambient, whereas adjustable ones, well, they can be adjusted. e.g. if you adjust it to 76 and it actually performs at 74, then just dial it up a bit higher.

Some heaters can be self-calibrated (Eheim Jager), so you just 'reset' the calibration if the number is wrong.

If your water is higher than the temp on the heater, that doesn't always mean just dial it down, other factors such as lighting, size of tank, ambient temperatures could be causing the higher temp, not the heater. If your heater has an 'on light', check to see if it's coming on.

Hope this all makes sense.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Placement of your thermometer can be a factor too. For a more accurate reading, I use the glass thermometers and I keep it in my filter. This way it has a continuous flow of fresh water over it.

If your thermometer is at the top of the tank, keep in mind that heat rises and it may be warmer at the top compared to having the thermometer at the bottom of the tank.

Ken

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow. That's very disrespectful. I've noticed you say things like this elsewhere. Could you tone it down and remember that we're all here to help, please?

Last edited by a moderator:

alexizhere23

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Very disrespectful and its an older post.

On subject, A thermometer in the filter is a good idea to me because it lets me see the temp of the water coming out of it. I have two thermometers on each tank and one is at bottom of tank and the other is either in the filter or near its output.

alex

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sure, but I won't hijack someone else's thread for it. I'll be happy to send you a PM.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since this thread is three months old And the Original Poster hasn't posted any more questions I would assume the question has been answered.

Candymancan -When answering/replying to post respect to all posters will be given.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom