Do I Take The Plant Out Of The Little Plastic Pot?

Saurabhvats4

Reaction score
I just setup my new 30 gallon planted tank. My friend told me do not remove that plastic pot so i buried all the plants with plastic pot. As per him it will provide better stability for plants.

Now i searched google found opposite answers. So kindly let me know is there any drawbacks or do i take out all the water and remove those pots ? or can i keep with plastic pots , no issue??

Kindly help me.. Thanks and Regards
Saurabh

LeviS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I take mine out, usually there is several bundles/individual pieces in the pot, you push from the bottom, then peel off the material it’s in and there will be several stems and plant them separately, each individual plant will root better and absorb more nutrients thus grow better.

Saurabhvats4

Reaction score
So what should i do now... Do i takeout all the water and start again ?? If i leave it as it is than ???
Thanks

LeviS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What kind of substrate do you have? Maybe someone else can chime in. I’m not sure if the stuff they pack it in will decay and cause a bacteria bloom clouding your tank, if it’s someth like fluorite or Carib sea the water column will get cloudy but will settle in a day or 2. If it’s like mine and dirted with a pea gravel cap it’s gonna make a mess.

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Definitely take them out. Just pull the plant and pot out of the tank. Remove the plant from the pot and any material attached to its roots so you just have the plant and roots left. It's ok to rip and break up roots. Trimming roots it's usually actually good for the plant. You might find you have more than one plant in the pot and you can spread them out more.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good to hear that trimming the roots is actually good for the plant! i got these massive swords a few weeks ago. I had to carefully cut away the pot with scissors because the roots were so entangled. Still, some of them got ripped apart. The plants seem to be doing well though.

LeviS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If i leave it, as it is than what will happen?? Will my plants die?? No growth slow growth?
If left in, it will use what nutrients are in the material, then if roots don’t grow into the substrate in time(depending if plant you purchased feeds from substrate or water column) the plants will start to die. It depends on the species of plant you have. The material it’s in is just for commercial purpose to ship to a store where you buy it. In my opinion not something for long term. Was hoping someone who has done it your way would respond, I know there are non aquatic plants that are fine to plant that way but it’s usually in a degrading cup in potting mix.

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you leave the plants in the pots the roots will have no room to grow, they won't be able to access nutrients in your substrate, and if you have the type of pots that are packed in with that fuzzy stuff around the roots I would imagine that will decompose and cause all sorts of issues down the road. Root rot could become a problem too if you leave them in the pots. Gotta let those roots breathe! Yeah trimming roots is a good thing, kind of the same principle as trimming leaves and stems, it invigorates new growth. Every time I replant anything in my tank the roots get a good trim. Never causes issues.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you leave the plants in the pots the roots will have no room to grow, they won't be able to access nutrients in your substrate, and if you have the type of pots that are packed in with that fuzzy stuff around the roots I would imagine that will decompose and cause all sorts of issues down the road. Root rot could become a problem too if you leave them in the pots. Gotta let those roots breathe! Yeah trimming roots is a good thing, kind of the same principle as trimming leaves and stems, it invigorates new growth. Every time I replant anything in my tank the roots get a good trim. Never causes issues.
If by “fuzzy stuff” you mean the rock wool, I dont think that actually decomposes.

Saurabhvats4

Reaction score
Thanks everyone ..removed all plastic pots ....... I am new to planting .. Any suggestions ..

I am using this substrate

LeviS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Reading everything you can and YouTube is your friend. It’s addicting for sure, get to watch fish and plants grow.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom