Question Do I Take The Plant Out Of The Little Plastic Pot?

kevymd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i just started my first planted tank, i bought a pre-planted driftwood with java fern on it, and a crypt. The drift wood was pretty easy, just place and enjoy. But i forgot to ask at the store what i do with the crypt. it came in a little plastic holder, like you get on regular plants. i didn't know what to do, so i just put it in the substrate, in the holder. but it's really sticking up funny, and it doesn't look natural. I have a gravel, i think its quartz based. Can i free it from its plastic prison and plant it, or should i add more gravel? (I have about an inch all around, but i have half a 25 lb bag left, so i think if i add that i can get the substrate up to 2 inches.)

Screen Shot 2013-07-20 at 3.40.21 PM.png

You can see the crypt in the back. will planting it/adding gravel stress out my fish?

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could leave it in there but eventually, the roots will come out of the plastic. I would take it out now and the moss it came with and just plant it in the substrate.

Tonia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would suggest having the gravel at 2 inches especially for plants, and I do remove the plastic pot thing. I carefully cut through the bars until I can gently pull the plant out. Most times it's got a cottony substance in there for the roots.. I usually leave that on, but it's softer, so can be put in the substrate easier.

After my plants are well established, I then worry about removing that cottony stuff.

I have added gravel to tanks.. you can do it gently by first cleaning it well, then use a cup or other container and pour it on the bottom once it's already in the tank, this prevents you from dropping it from the top and possibly hitting a curious fish.

markah1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Take it out. Even though gravel isn't really suited for plants, it'll be better off than in a pot.

iLLusion

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

skip to 4 minutes this is how i learned how to plant my plants, basically just removing the wool, slowly then dipping it in water and repeating.

( i think im allowed to post videos)

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just trim all the roots outside of the pot, pull it out of the pot, and pull away any loose rockwool. Like it shows in the video you can dip it in water to help make removal easier, but if you leave some on it's not a big deal, it doesn't hurt anything.

kevymd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
iLLusion, thanks so much for that video! that helped immensely. Jetajockey, I did just that. The rock wool was really compacted, it made me nervous to pull it apart, but I got as much off as I could. The crypt is now happily (for a plant, I suppose) planted in the same spot as before, sans plastic and wool, and it looks 100 times better. The fishies seem to like it better too. I also added more of the gravel substrate. That was one of the most nerve-wracking things I've done in a while. All four fishies were so curious! I was terrified that each little pebble would crush them, especially the Platy because he's a little slower. But now I have a good 2 inches of substrate and two lovely plants. Fingers crossed!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom