Do I risk it?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FuzzyMuffin, Jul 29, 2015.

1. FuzzyMuffinNew MemberMember

So, I have been going back and forth on whether or not I want to risk buying Rummy Nose tetra. They're known for being sensitive and liking soft, acidic water. My water is the exact opposite, 8.2 pH (very stable though), 25 drops for gH and kH (400ppm?). I could buy some that were tank raised in a pH of 7.5 and hard water, but it's expensive and I really don't want to buy them if they're likely to die. My tank is 50gals, heavily planted, 0ppm Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate, 3 pearl gourami and 1 rubberlip pleco.

Should I risk it and spend the $50+ and buy a school of 15? Or should I go with something safer like Harlequin Rasbora? I really want the tetras, but I really don't want dead fish and wasted money.

I would really love anybody with personal experience in a situation like this. Thanks!

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

The tetras should get used to your pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Is your tank cycled (see nitrogen cycle)? It doesn't sound like it (a cycled tank should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5-40 ppm nitrates), but maybe the plants are just really good at taking up the nitrates. I ask because adding the rummynose after your tank has fully cycled will give them a better chance of survival than if you add them to an uncycled or a cycling tank.

4. OP
    OP
    F

FuzzyMuffinNew MemberMember

I apologize, Nitrate is actually at 10ppm. I got it confused with my other planted tank's readings. The tank is fully cycled, but it would likely be at least a month before I considered purchasing.

So it's worth the risk?

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes it's worth the risk. Several people have GBRs in a pH as high as 8.2 but those like soft water. These people don't have any problems as far as I know. If you're not going to get fish for another month so, hope you got a bottle of ammonia to keep the cycle going.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Rams are fine in high pH, they even are known to spawn in high pH.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice