Do I Rinse New Media In Tap Water

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Z123Killer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I am in the process of starting my new aquarium and my question is can I rinse the new filter media thar came with the filter in tap water before using? Or do I not rinse it?

2. S

Ste Valued Member Member

You could.. or if u dont its fine, but better rinse it with pond water (clear) or aged water.. dont rinse it with chlorinated water

3. A

Aquaboy Valued Member Member

Some instructions say rinse it, it can collect debris while in storage. Rinse it with any water you like when you start the filter add a prime it will de-chlorinate the water.

4. OP
    OP
    Z

So can I rinse it with tap water that is chlorinated or no?

5. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

It's up to you but what I would do is dechlorinate some water in a bucket and rinse in that. That's my overly cautious opinion. :)

Oh, and the buckets I use are for fish stuff only!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  6. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would rinse it in dechlorinated water. Just to be on the safe side. Just fill up a bucket with a gallon of water and add dechlorinator to it. Rinse in there instead. You may find you need that water for other things as you set up.

7. S

Ste Valued Member Member

Better with aged water.. it can also collect beneficial bacterias

8. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I honestly never though about it. I've always used plain tap water to rinse new stuff. There's no BB growing on it yet, so nothing to kill, and as soon as the filter starts running tank water in it it is dechlorinated. And I haven't had a problem getting it to cycle.

9. Eddison Green

Eddison Green Valued Member Member

I've had bad problems with tap water. Just do it in your old tank water

10. OP
    OP
    Z

The tank was just started today so there is no old tank water. I ended up declorinating a gallon of water and rinsed the media in it.

11. Eddison Green

If you just started it why are you rinsing your media?

12. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

The instructions say to, to remove dust and debris from manufacturing and packaging.

13. Eddison Green

Oh for the future. You can rinse in tap water no problem. Once your tank is cycled don't rinse in tap water only in old tank water.

14. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I don't see the problem with rinsing it in tap water initially, there is no BB to worry about until you cycle the tank.

15. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Media can get pretty dusty, so it wouldn't hurt. I just rinse it under faucet. If it's activated carbon definitely clean it out. Again, doesn't matter if it's straight untreated tap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice