Do I Rinse Bio Media?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Z123Killer, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I bought Matrix bio media and was wondering if I should rinse it in tap water before putting it in the filter or do I just put it in the filter?

2. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

Not a bad idea to rinse it because it can come a bit dusty, but I would use treated or old tank water if you have any handy. Tap water would be fine otherwise, but maybe add a drop or two of prime into the tank after putting it in.

3. Cruise

Cruise Valued Member Member

I was taught to use water you have drained from the tank and rinse any bio material off in that instead of tap water. So any good organisms are kept alive using tank water whereas they may get killed off with tap water that contains chemicals.

4. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Waste of time rinsing brand new medua in tank water to avoid killing nin existent bacteria in your sterile new media.

Yeah just rinse it under the tap to get dudt and chips off it.

5. Cruise

Cruise Valued Member Member

Fair call, I like to use treated water in my tanks always, even when they start out.

6. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

This is a very good tip for bio media that's been in the tank, but with brand new media there isn't any bacteria there to harm yet. Using old tank water won't hurt anything, though, and it's not a bad idea to avoid adding more chlorine to your tank if you don't have to. Either way is probably fine. There isn't likely to be a ton of chlorine in the small amount of water that'll cling to the media, and the flow of the filter will flush it out pretty quickly.

7. LoLo Bender

LoLo Bender New Member Member

How often do I clean my bio balls? I just found out i have them. My husband put my tank together as a gift and after hunting for a frog i found the bio balls. I started my nano qube tank in January (this year-2017) THEY ARE REALLY GUNKY!

8. hcda24

hcda24 New Member Member

Seachem states ( and I've contacted to verify) that you can rinse their Matrix bio media under the sink with no problem because it has so much surface area.

9. cadd

cadd Well Known Member Member

Is this for brand new Matrix out of the box? Or is this for Matrix that is already in your filter (with full colonies of beneficial bacteria on them)?

10. hcda24

hcda24 New Member Member

Both. Seachem said the bacteria will be fine.

11. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I'm a little paranoid, so I prefer to use treated or tank water to rinse new media, so I don't have to worry about it possibly killing off already established bacteria in an old media. If it's a brand new aquarium then obviously it doesn't matter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice