Do I really need this much filtration?! Can I consolidate filter cartridges?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by FishtailBraid, Jul 15, 2015.

1. FishtailBraidValued MemberMember

Do I really need this much filtration ?! ETA: Now with diagram!

I have a big bulky filter with three clip-together cartridges. No complaints, as my tank is cycled.

However, today I looked at another filter designed for my size of tank/bioload (15L with single betta) and its media compartment was tiny - easily the size of a single one of my media cartridges.

Since the height of my filter might become a squeeze once I have gravel, I'm wondering if I can "consolidate" the cartridges by [see diagram below]. There doesn't seem to be much "caught" in the coarse mesh anyway, probably because the intake holes for the filter are tiny, so nothing big can get sucked in in the first place.

Is this a bad idea? Or possible?

ETA: Since it's a bit hard to explain, here's a diagram of what I mean (blue arrows show water intake locations/direction of water flow).

Sin título.png

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

I don't know why not with only one betta should be an easy transition. The only thing that fits in my tiny internal filter for my betta tank (Tom mini internal) is a sponge and a little carbon.

3. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

That should be just fine, especially considering a simple sponge filter is sufficient for a betta's needs.

4. OP
    OP
    F

FishtailBraidValued MemberMember

Thanks CindiL and _Fried_Bettas_! I will do that then; will make it much easier to fit the filter and the gravel. My tank is a nice low shape with a large "footprint", which I've heard is good for bettas, but can be a pain to fit equipment that has to be vertical!

5. OP
    OP
    F

Since I don't want to start another topic, I was just wondering if anyone has opinions/experience with this cheapo LED light, as purely aesthetic illumination for a NON-planted tank:

Thanks! :)

6. _Fried_Bettas_

That light would probably work just fine, but...

For something like this, I would look past the "aquarium" category for something better and cheaper. I have a similar light that I have used when breeding out of plastic containers and such a light works great for that purpose. This is the light I have but there are zillions of such lights for sale on Amazon and elsewhere: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GN31JY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

7. OP
    OP
    F

Thanks _Fried_Bettas_! I'm actually happy with the price of the previous light - it's in Australian dollars which is why it may have seemed pretty expensive! :D AUD$20 equates to USD$14.75; anything cheaper doesn't have an Aussie plug and I'm scared of pairing an adapter with a timer. :/

Plus the store is going to let me bundle postage with some other stuff I ordered earlier that was delayed as they were out of stock. So fun times when 10000 fish things arrive at once! *tank makeover timez are a-coming*

:;betta

8. _Fried_Bettas_

Well that kind of light works fine. I have a couple, good for quarantine/spawn and other temporary tanks

9. OP
    OP
    F

Yeah, I would get the cheaper lights if they came with Australian mains plugs, I'm just scared as all the cheap (AUD$11-15) ones on eBay seem to have either USB plugs or US mains plugs, which have to have a converter for both pin type and voltage. Which combined with a timer will at best add a lot of bulk behind my tank, and at worse it may actually be unsafe to string that many converters/timers together. But thanks for the advice, as of course it could be useful for other members looking to buy LED aquarium lights. :) Sorry if I seemed like I was brushing off your tip as it is good advice that "speciality" stuff is often the same generic stuff, just bundled up and overpriced. :)

10. _Fried_Bettas_

You misinterpreted my last post. I said that kind of light work just fine. I was referring to the one you are interested in. It is in my mind the same thing as the ones I was showing you. A simple clip on LED light.

11. OP
    OP
    F

Oh thanks _Fried_Bettas_! :) I thought you might have misinterpreted my previous post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice