Do I Really Need Special Substrate For Plants.

clemtine pace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do i really need special substrate for a planted tank? Like i was considering eco complete.
But it would be easier to transfer some "fertilizer" from my fifteen gal showroom angel tank, and plants grow fantastic in that. Sooo.. opinions?
Im not looking for sone kind if professional stuff just some baby tears and basic plants like that.
If i get eco complete or and other nice planted tank substrate ill have to order it online which is not desirable.
Itll be a 5-10 probably 10 gallon freshwater tank with a betta and maybe some compatible shrimp.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Baby tears, I believe need high light and co2

If you are getting low light plants then no you do not need any special substrate! All you need is a good low or medium light! You will use pool filter sand or you can use black diamond blasting sand(black). For ferts if you have root feeders you would add root tabs! Here is my 40 breeder low tech tank, all plants are low light and I'm using a Finnex Stingray... however I am using PFS in the front and Eco-Complete in the back corners. Click on the build thread at the bottom of this post to find out more
ca128306fc08dfa808224d2847b7c29f.jpg

clemtine pace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No. You don't need any special substrate. I prefer National Geographic Crystal Lake Aquarium Sand. Although, I would recommend using seachem flourish root tabs.
Root tabs alone would be fantastic! Id like to use an extremely small gravel or a large sand if possible. Some like the size or crushed coral for saltwater tanks if you know how big that is. Im glad so many people are passionate about the hobby but it can be so difficult to find simple solutions! Im very experienced in fresh water and in plants, freshwater plants? Not so much . Although so far is seems my green thumb is adequate underwater.

Baby tears, I believe need high light and co2

If you are getting low light plants then no you do not need any special substrate! All you need is a good low or medium light! You will use pool filter sand or you can use black diamond blasting sand(black). For ferts if you have root feeders you would add root tabs! Here is my 40 breeder low tech tank, all plants are low light and I'm using a Finnex Stingray... however I am using PFS in the front and Eco-Complete in the back corners. Click on the build thread at the bottom of this post to find out more
ca128306fc08dfa808224d2847b7c29f.jpg
Gorgeous tank! And im currently growing my baby tears with high light but i dont have any kind of special co2, and their doing famously. Great advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom