Do I Really Need It?

RachelNoel

Member
Would I really need a python gravel vac (not the one that attaches to a faucet) for water changes on a 10 gallon; or would good ol' airline tubing get the job done? This will most likely be a planted tank with a single betta and some snails, so I don't expect it to get terrible messy.
 

WTFish?

Member
Not really...you can clean with tubing or a turkey baster.
 

alauruin

Member
A turkey baster is the single greatest piece of maintenance equipment you can own, IMO.
 
  • Thread Starter

RachelNoel

Member
WTFish? said:
Not really...you can clean with tubing or a turkey baster.
yeah, that's what I thought. The minI is 4,99. But 25 ft of python airline tubing is only 3.41 on chewy.
 
  • Thread Starter

RachelNoel

Member
alauruin said:
A turkey baster is the single greatest piece of maintenance equipment you can own, IMO.
haha, definitely on the supplies list.

Beautiful horse btw. Is it yours?
 

alauruin

Member
RachelNoel said:
Beautiful horse btw. Is it yours?
Thank you! Yes, that's my buddy, Colby.
 

Fanatic

Member
It would take me ages to use a turkey baster on a 10 gallon, too small.
Personally, if you go with air tubing, pick the thicker type of tube.
 

tjander

Member
I use a inch diameter tube and just suck the water out. The key is to use a hose with a big enough hole to suck the water out and not take all day to do it. Think garden hose compared to airline hose.

Remember with plants you don’t want to dig into the substrate as you very well may damage the roots.
 
  • Thread Starter

RachelNoel

Member
Fanatic said:
It would take me ages to use a turkey baster on a 10 gallon, too small.
Personally, if you go with air tubing, pick the thicker type of tube.
I was just going to use the baster for spot cleaning.
 

Fanatic

Member
RachelNoel said:
I was just going to use tge baster for spot cleaning.
Oh, perfect!
 
  • Thread Starter

RachelNoel

Member
Would standard airline tubing really take that long? I'll only be doing a 25% water change so about 2 gallons.
 

goldface

Member
RachelNoel said:
Would standard airline tubing really take that long? I'll only be doing a 25% water change so about 2 gallons.
Not terribly long, but pretty long. Lol. You’re going to want to switch to a larger diameter hose after a while. Been there, done that.
 

mattgirl

Member
I would think the problem with regular airline tubing is trying to keep it straight. Mine always tries to curl back up. It would make it hard to get it to go where I wanted it to go without it curling back on itself. I would think one could get frustrated with it fairly quick.
 

wodesorel

Member
I just bought the python minI and the optional primer bulb a couple months ago. It was totally worth it, the tubing is nice and flexible and the priming means no more fighting to start the flow. The siphon keeps the tube in the tank and the bulb does the same for the other end in the bucket. You wouldn't think 6 feet of tubing is hard to control but it's impossible to manage both ends at the same time! No more baths.
 

goldface

Member
mattgirl said:
I would think the problem with regular airline tubing is trying to keep it straight. Mine always tries to curl back up. It would make it hard to get it to go where I wanted it to go without it curling back on itself. I would think one could get frustrated with it fairly quick.
I use a good fitting straw on the end of the airline. It works great for nano and pico tanks. But it’s still pretty slow for me.
 
  • Thread Starter

RachelNoel

Member
I see. Makes sense. I'll just go with the python mini. Thanks for all the help.
 

tjander

Member
I agree with the above comments, I maybe exaggerated the time but but you get my point.
I use a piece of duct tape on the line to the bucket to keep it in place, as my sink is too far away to use.
 

WTFish?

Member
RachelNoel said:
I was just going to use the baster for spot cleaning.
Oh yes, spot cleaning gravel only, not to drain water, lol
 

Goldiemom

Member
Depends on the SZ if your tank. The big python is the only way to go with my 55G. Actually, I can’t imagine not using it on my 29G either.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom