Do I Really Need It?

alauruin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A turkey baster is the single greatest piece of maintenance equipment you can own, IMO.

RachelNoel

Valued Member
Reaction score
alauruin said:
A turkey baster is the single greatest piece of maintenance equipment you can own, IMO.
haha, definitely on the supplies list.

Beautiful horse btw. Is it yours?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It would take me ages to use a turkey baster on a 10 gallon, too small.
Personally, if you go with air tubing, pick the thicker type of tube.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use a inch diameter tube and just suck the water out. The key is to use a hose with a big enough hole to suck the water out and not take all day to do it. Think garden hose compared to airline hose.

Remember with plants you don’t want to dig into the substrate as you very well may damage the roots.

RachelNoel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fanatic said:
It would take me ages to use a turkey baster on a 10 gallon, too small.
Personally, if you go with air tubing, pick the thicker type of tube.
I was just going to use the baster for spot cleaning.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RachelNoel said:
Would standard airline tubing really take that long? I'll only be doing a 25% water change so about 2 gallons.
Not terribly long, but pretty long. Lol. You’re going to want to switch to a larger diameter hose after a while. Been there, done that.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would think the problem with regular airline tubing is trying to keep it straight. Mine always tries to curl back up. It would make it hard to get it to go where I wanted it to go without it curling back on itself. I would think one could get frustrated with it fairly quick.

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just bought the python mini and the optional primer bulb a couple months ago. It was totally worth it, the tubing is nice and flexible and the priming means no more fighting to start the flow. The siphon keeps the tube in the tank and the bulb does the same for the other end in the bucket. You wouldn't think 6 feet of tubing is hard to control but it's impossible to manage both ends at the same time! No more baths.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I would think the problem with regular airline tubing is trying to keep it straight. Mine always tries to curl back up. It would make it hard to get it to go where I wanted it to go without it curling back on itself. I would think one could get frustrated with it fairly quick.
I use a good fitting straw on the end of the airline. It works great for nano and pico tanks. But it’s still pretty slow for me.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with the above comments, I maybe exaggerated the time but but you get my point.
I use a piece of duct tape on the line to the bucket to keep it in place, as my sink is too far away to use.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on the SZ if your tank. The big python is the only way to go with my 55G. Actually, I can’t imagine not using it on my 29G either.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom