Do I really need carbon?

1. Heather12404 Member Member

I have an AquaClear on my 29G....do I really need the carbon all the time? It has the bio max cylinders in a bag as well as a sponge.
    I also have a Penguin BioWheel on my 10G....do I really need carbon in this filter? I was thinking I could get some of the cylinders and sponge that I have in my AquaClear filter and put that in Penguin filter. Thoughts?

2. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

No, you don't need the carbon. Adding either another sponge or biomax is what I used to do when I used my Aquaclears.

Carbon is a personel preference to use all the time. It removes odors, heavy metals, meds and discoloration. I'm one that dose not use it.

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I do not use carbon either. I only keep a small jar on hand incase I would need to remove meds.

4. Borisbbadd Guest

You don't need it. Using carbon is a personal choice, some people use it all the time, and some people only use it to remove meds. Personally, I very seldom use it.

5. Heather12404 Member Member

Sweet! Thank you all so much.

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, its all about choice.

7. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

You also would need to change it every month or so. Waste of money IMO. I do not use carbon unless I'm cycling a tank

8. Heather12404 Member Member

That's exactly what I thought - waste of money. But I love my AquaClear filter because of the cylinders and sponge so I was thinking I could get some of those and put those in the Penguin filter just to fill in the space where the carbon cartridge went....for extra media in the filter.
    I soooo appreciate the input. Thank you so much as always.

9. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

def add more bio media, I actually do that with all my HOBs now, really all I buy them to be is a pump on the back of the tank and a place to hold media.

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That's really all they are.

Or even more frequently, if you change a lot of water.

I stopped using it a few years ago. If I were to use it now, it would be in a small HOB to make changing easy.

11. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

exactly! changing it in canister filters is a pain!