Do I really need carbon?

1. H

Heather12404 Valued Member Member

I have an AquaClear on my 29G....do I really need the carbon all the time? It has the bio max cylinders in a bag as well as a sponge.
    I also have a Penguin BioWheel on my 10G....do I really need carbon in this filter? I was thinking I could get some of the cylinders and sponge that I have in my AquaClear filter and put that in Penguin filter. Thoughts?

2. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

No, you don't need the carbon. Adding either another sponge or biomax is what I used to do when I used my Aquaclears.

Carbon is a personel preference to use all the time. It removes odors, heavy metals, meds and discoloration. I'm one that dose not use it.

3. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I do not use carbon either. I only keep a small jar on hand incase I would need to remove meds.

4. B

Borisbbadd Guest

You don't need it. Using carbon is a personal choice, some people use it all the time, and some people only use it to remove meds. Personally, I very seldom use it.

5. OP
    OP
    H

Sweet! Thank you all so much.

6. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, its all about choice.

7. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

You also would need to change it every month or so. Waste of money IMO. I do not use carbon unless I'm cycling a tank

8. OP
    OP
    H

That's exactly what I thought - waste of money. But I love my AquaClear filter because of the cylinders and sponge so I was thinking I could get some of those and put those in the Penguin filter just to fill in the space where the carbon cartridge went....for extra media in the filter.
    I soooo appreciate the input. Thank you so much as always.

9. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

def add more bio media, I actually do that with all my HOBs now, really all I buy them to be is a pump on the back of the tank and a place to hold media.

10. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That's really all they are.

Or even more frequently, if you change a lot of water.

I stopped using it a few years ago. If I were to use it now, it would be in a small HOB to make changing easy.

11. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

exactly! changing it in canister filters is a pain!