do i really need a heater im getting mixed info

kaitlin4599

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok so i need to know wether or not i need a heater for my tank first some info for u guys:

tank size 10 gallons

fish in tank after it cycles as this is a new setup: betta fish other tropical freshwater fish will be in the tank once i research some good tank mates for the betta

room size 380 square foot studio apt with ambiant room temp of around 70 degrees during the day with my ac on and about 65 degrees at night

ive had people tell me i do need a heater and ive also had people tell me i dont need one at least not till winter so im asking the experts here do i need a heater if so how many watts should the heater be thanks BTW tank had one more week to go before i can add the betta so no rush

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you want a Betta then yes you need a heater as they require a temperature in the high 70's low 80's, & most tropical fish will need a heater with your temperature range

Jswin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If your house stays set at 75 degrees or better you might could be ok but lower than that you need a heater for sure. I would say just go ahead and get one because if someone in the house sets the ac to 60 something in the night because they're hot your fish would still be safe. A lot of heaters let you pick the temperature and it doesn't come on till it needs to. For a 10g 50w should be fine

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Agree with the above posters. Bettas like warmer temps, and so yes, they do very much so need a heater. A 50w heater worked well for me in my 10g.

fish breeder 1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I guess the temperature in my home is always good as the types of fish are okay. Yet,I wonder if some have died as a result of a little temperature at night. I am finding it hard to raise candytail barbs, neon tetras and yellow tetras.I have had good fortune with mollies and zebras.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I guess the temperature in my home is always good as the types of fish are okay. Yet,I wonder if some have died as a result of a little temperature at night. I am finding it hard to raise candytail barbs, neon tetras and yellow tetras.I have had good fortune with mollies and zebras.
Welcome to Fish Lore, fish breeder 1!!!! Nice to have you here!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom