do i really need a heater im getting mixed info

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by kaitlin4599, Jul 24, 2015.

1. k

kaitlin4599 Valued Member Member

ok so i need to know wether or not i need a heater for my tank first some info for u guys:

tank size 10 gallons

fish in tank after it cycles as this is a new setup: betta fish other tropical freshwater fish will be in the tank once i research some good tank mates for the betta

room size 380 square foot studio apt with ambiant room temp of around 70 degrees during the day with my ac on and about 65 degrees at night

ive had people tell me i do need a heater and ive also had people tell me i dont need one at least not till winter so im asking the experts here do i need a heater if so how many watts should the heater be thanks BTW tank had one more week to go before i can add the betta so no rush

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If you want a Betta then yes you need a heater as they require a temperature in the high 70's low 80's, & most tropical fish will need a heater with your temperature range

3. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

If your house stays set at 75 degrees or better you might could be ok but lower than that you need a heater for sure. I would say just go ahead and get one because if someone in the house sets the ac to 60 something in the night because they're hot your fish would still be safe. A lot of heaters let you pick the temperature and it doesn't come on till it needs to. For a 10g 50w should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with the above posters. Bettas like warmer temps, and so yes, they do very much so need a heater. A 50w heater worked well for me in my 10g.

5. f

fish breeder 1 New Member Member

I guess the temperature in my home is always good as the types of fish are okay. Yet,I wonder if some have died as a result of a little temperature at night. I am finding it hard to raise candytail barbs, neon tetras and yellow tetras.I have had good fortune with mollies and zebras.

6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore, fish breeder 1!!!! Nice to have you here! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice