Do I really need a 55 Gallon tank??

IDKwhattodo

If Oscar fish needs a 55-gallon tank why are they 12 inches? They say that the rule of thumb for these fishes is 1 Inch per gallon

FinalFins

Food for thought- would you have a 12 inch fish in a 12 gallon tank that by regular standard is probably only 12 inches wide?

PurpleReign19

IDKwhattodo said:
If Oscar fish needs a 55-gallon tank why are they 12 inches? They say that the rule of thumb for these fishes is 1 Inch per gallon
You do want this fish to be able to swim around right? The oscar is also a very intelligent fish and needs mental stimulation to survive. It needs a plenty large tank. How would you feel if you were put in a closet to live? You would survive but not thrive. I dont mean to sound harsh but this is a massively misunderstood concept in fishkeeping.

IDKwhattodo

FreshwaterFins99 said:
You do want this fish to be able to swim around right? The oscar is also a very intelligent fish and needs mental stimulation to survive. It needs a plenty large tank. How would you feel if you were put in a closet to live? You would survive but not thrive. I dont mean to sound harsh but this is a massively misunderstood concept in fishkeeping.
Yeah i was skeptical about that rule of thumb

GuppyGal7

The inch per gallon rule simply isn't true. It almost never is.

PurpleReign19

IDKwhattodo said:
Yeah i was skeptical about that rule of thumb
Yeah its almost always inaccurate. Thanks for understanding

Random Great Thread

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

Latest threads

Top Bottom