Do I overstock my planted tank?

fishy69

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
G'day, I am a newbie to fish keeping and need some advise from the gurus on this forum. I have a fully cycled 49 Gallon fish tank (1.2m wide) and my fish are:
-13 lamb chop rasboras
-13 neon tetras
-9 cory habrosus
-7 Celestial pearl danios
-4 otocinclus
-15 cherry shrimps

I believe I over filtered my tank as I have fluval external canister 307 and aqua clear view 500.
How often and how much should I do a water change? Can I add couple nerite snails in the tank? Also, do I need to add more plants? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
snails are cleaners, so I say go ahead

cories & shrimps are cleaners too so they help offset the bio load.

I would add a few more plants though for the snails to enjoy & hiding places for molting shrimp. Nice looking tank

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cories and shrimp need to be fed. They add a minimal amount to the bioload but they don't offset anything. Nerites won't offset anything either, they eat algae and don't really need supplemental feeding, but algae while unsightly actually cleans the water too, so they're not a negative bioload either. That being said, that's a good size tank and your stocking sounds fine to me. I agree that more plants never hurt though!

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your stocking seems fine and you can add a handful of nerite snails for sure. More plants never hurt, they help with water quality, provide places for fish to hide and IMO are your best defense against algae.

OP
F

fishy69

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks guys, was a bit worried cause my stocking seems awful according to "inch per gallon rule". What do you guys recommend for low tech foreground plants?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
The inch per gallon rule is quite outdated, and innacurate, since it doesn't take into account of body mass, activity level, and areas the fish swims in. According to the inch per gallon rule I could have a 49 inch fish in your tank.
Hopefully that clears a bit up:)

crypts are great easy foreground plants.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishy69 said:
What do you guys recommend for low tech foreground plants?
Crypt Parva or one of the fancier mosses could be a good foreground plant for a low tech tank. Requires less maintenance, too.

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For foreground plants you could go for some java fern or anubias (you can't bury these so they should be tied to rocks or driftwood). You could also toss a couple moss balls in there and see if you like that look, or you could give java moss a go. None of these are very hard to find and as long as you trI'm them once in a while they won't overrun things.

OP
F

fishy69

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
faydout said:
Crypt Parva or one of the fancier mosses could be a good foreground plant for a low tech tank. Requires less maintenance, too.
Unfortunately, Crypt Parva plants are quite rare and not easy to get in Australia.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great looking tank!! Very nicely done. I like the nano type fish in a big tank. No where near over stocked. I’d get a school of forktail rainbow fish to swim in the top of the tank.
For plants I’d put an aponogeton in front of the intake on the left. Crispus grows big and live long. Next I’d take some of the jave moss and attach it to that drift wood. Your shrimp will colonize on that. Crypt wendit will work in the front too. Give that melon sword half a root tab if you haven’t allready. Good luck and it looks great!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
fishy69 said:
thanks guys, was a bit worried cause my stocking seems awful according to "inch per gallon rule". What do you guys recommend for low tech foreground plants?
I know I keep hearing over and over that the inch per gallon rule is out dated but if one uses a bit of common sense it is still a good rule of thumb to use. Common sense tells us we can't put a single 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank but 10 one inch fish might work. As in all things, just my humble opinion. :)

I really like the nano fish you have chosen for this tank. If you should choose to do so I do think you could up the schools of the fish you already have. Nerite snails would be an option but I don't know if they would be competing for food with your otocinclus. If your otocinclus are eating food you give them and not totally depending on algae growing in the tank nerites may work. Be prepared for the eggs they will eventually lay all over your driftwood though.

You have already gotten some good suggestions for plants so I will bow out of that question. I really like where you are going with this tank. Looks like it was well thought out. :)

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
Great looking tank!! Very nicely done. I like the nano type fish in a big tank. No where near over stocked. I’d get a school of forktail rainbow fish to swim in the top of the tank.
For plants I’d put an aponogeton in front of the intake on the left. Crispus grows big and live long. Next I’d take some of the jave moss and attach it to that drift wood. Your shrimp will colonize on that. Crypt wendit will work in the front too. Give that melon sword half a root tab if you haven’t allready. Good luck and it looks great!
That’s the first time I’ve ever seen anyone mention aponogeton! I have 4 of them and an onion plant in my tanks and they are huge, super pretty plants especially when they flower, and they are really good for my fry to hide in :) this is an older pic, my breeder boxes aren’t in there anymore
248548D3-DF89-428B-9AFB-3E7D49A86BCC.jpeg

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Jennalovesanimals said:
That’s the first time I’ve ever seen anyone mention aponogeton! I have 4 of them and an onion plant in my tanks and they are huge, super pretty plants especially when they flower, and they are really good for my fry to hide in :) this is an older pic, my breeder boxes aren’t in there anymore
248548D3-DF89-428B-9AFB-3E7D49A86BCC.jpeg
I agree. I have 2 of them in my 55 gallon tank. They are beautiful fast growing plants.

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
I agree. I have 2 of them in my 55 gallon tank. They are beautiful fast growing plants.
I love aponogetons :) I actually grew all of mine from bulbs

Right after I posted that the breeder boxes are no longer in the tank, I caught 60 fry. So they’re back in again

OP
F

fishy69

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all of your comments peeps. Bought 4 nerite snails earlier today.

OP
F

fishy69

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My nerite snails seem quite inactive, sometimes they don't move for hours. Is it normal? The tank is fully cycled, Am 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10ppm, pH 7.

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fishy69 said:
My nerite snails seem quite inactive, sometimes they don't move for hours. Is it normal? The tank is fully cycled, Am 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10ppm, pH 7.
Pretty normal yes. I read that will actually rest for long periods of time, over 12hours I believe. And then go on a long binge for 18-24 hours.

they aren’t going to be super entertaining. You will just notice that They are moving often but not in an entertaining way. But they do a great job cleaning up.

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But keep in mind there is the added bonus that they won’t reproduce in freshwater and overpopulate your tank.

Some snails may be a little more entertaining but, they can take over if you let them

New Threads