Do i need underlayment for pond

ponitboss

Do i need underlayment for a cement block pond? As in can the blocks punture the liner? The block are not plastured, they are just stacked in shape of a pond

Flyfisha

Hi ponitboss .
I know the style of pond you are building but did not make mine that way. I used fibreglass molds with pond liner on my little tubs.

In Australia pond liners come in 3 or 4 thickness as well as several grades of quality and price.

My experience was the cost of a liner is astronomical and the soft underlay was not so much.
I think it makes sense to do the job as well as possible the first time?
Even adding the offcuts of underlay as a second layer was my solution to avoid worrying about the likelihood of a leak months later.

ponitboss

Hi ponitboss .
I know the style of pond you are building but did not make mine that way. I used fibreglass molds with pond liner on my little tubs.

In Australia pond liners come in 3 or 4 thickness as well as several grades of quality and price.

My experience was the cost of a liner is astronomical and the soft underlay was not so much.
I think it makes sense to do the job as well as possible the first time?
Even adding the offcuts of underlay as a second layer was my solution to avoid worrying about the likelihood of a leak months later.
I already cover the ground but do i need to cover all the sides also?

Flyfisha

I believe it’s a good idea to do it now? I had one very small leak from a nick with the knife and can say it’s a pain to empty water out and try and fix things once you have it full of plants, water and fish. In the end I could not patch the tiny hole so ended up putting new liner in .
Old carpet cut to size?

ponitboss

I believe it’s a good idea to do it now? I had one very small leak from a nick with the knife and can say it’s a pain to empty water out and try and fix things once you have it full of plants, water and fish. In the end I could not patch the tiny hole so ended up putting new liner in .
Old carpet cut to size?

Yes the bottom is old carpet cut to size, someone told me I can use cardboard for the sizes 4 sides and carpet for the bottom
This is the pond the side pieces of carpet won't stay upright

Attachments

• 20220804_053417.jpg
    20220804_053417.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 3

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ponitboss
  • LukeMAN5214
  • Ponds
Replies