Do I need two Rainbow Shark in a 29G tank?

Jhawk117

Hi, so I have two adult male Rainbow Shark in my 29G tank. I've been noticing lately that they seem to be real aggressive with each other. I'm seeing one chasing the other frequently. Do I need two rainbow shark in my tank? They are my only algae eaters. They don't disturb the other fish, only get aggressive with each other. Or is this normal behavior for rainbow shark?

86 ssinit

No one is enough! They can get aggressive. What else is in the tank?

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Rainbow sharks can be very aggressive, especially to bottom dwellers and of their species. And you don't need algae eaters, you can always just scrape it off, I would suggest something like a mag-float.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

I am a *bit* overstocked, I think. In my tank I have:

x12 Neons
x3 Guppies
x2 Angelfish
x2 GBRs
x2 Rainbow Sharks
x1 Dwarf Gourami

Unfortunately, you also have some temperature compatibility issues.

What temperature is your tank?

Upvote 0

Jhawk117

I believe its set to 78 degrees. The fish all seem fine for the most part. Which ones should I be concerned about?

Upvote 0

Dunk2

I believe its set to 78 degrees. The fish all seem fine for the most part. Which ones should I be concerned about?

IMO, Rams should be kept at 82+. Which isn’t good for many other community fish.

Upvote 0

Jhawk117

Yeah, that is rather high temp. Can they be kept at 78?

Upvote 0

Rick bose

Rainbow sharks don't go at all in the same tank. They are highly territorial and aggressive towards each other. Only 2 should be kept in tank. It's highly likely that the more dominant one will eventually kill the other one. Same goes with redtail sharks. These 2 fish species should never be kept in pairs unless the tank is extremely big with lots of hiding places like 100+ gallons. Also your tank is not only overstocked, it's filled with many more territorial fishes and also too small to house even a single rainbow shark.

Upvote 0

Jhawk117

Rainbow sharks don't go at all in the same tank. They are highly territorial and aggressive towards each other. Only 2 should be kept in tank. It's highly likely that the more dominant one will eventually kill the other one. Same goes with redtail sharks. These 2 fish species should never be kept in pairs unless the tank is extremely big with lots of hiding places like 100+ gallons. Also your tank is not only overstocked, it's filled with many more territorial fishes and also too small to house even a single rainbow shark.
Really? So I can't even keep one of them if I toss one out?

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Yeah, that is rather high temp. Can they be kept at 78?

I can only tell you what I would or wouldn’t do. . . I wouldn’t keep my Rams at 78. But I also decided a while back that I wouldn’t keep them in a community tank.

Upvote 0

Rick bose

I don’t think this is what you meant?
Oops sorry..It will be only 1 should be kept in a tank. I don't know how I typed 2 instead of 1..LOL.. didn't even noticed that.

I am not gonna edit my post since then your comment will have no meaning. LOL.

Upvote 0

Jhawk117

I can only tell you what I would or wouldn’t do. . . I wouldn’t keep my Rams at 78. But I also decided a while back that I wouldn’t keep them in a community tank.
What's wrong with keeping rams in a community tank?

Upvote 0

Dunk2

In my experience, they do best in species only tanks.

Some folks have success keeping them in community tanks. I didn’t.

Upvote 0

Rick bose

If it's a breeding pair, they become highly territorial while spawning. Also dwarf gourami, angelfish, rainbow shark all are highly territorial. It's too much to keep so many territorial fishes in only 29g.

Upvote 0

Jhawk117

In my experience, they do best in species only tanks.

Some folks have success keeping them in community tanks. I didn’t.
I've had difficulty in the past keeping two alive in the past. However, my latest two seem to be doing fine

Upvote 0

Rick bose

I
Is it 29g high or 29g long? What's the length of the tank?

Upvote 0

Jhawk117

If it's a breeding pair, they become highly territorial while spawning. Also dwarf gourami, angelfish, rainbow shark all are highly territorial. It's too much to keep so many territorial fishes in only 29g.
I did not know that about angelfish & dwarf gouramis. I haven't noticed any territorial behavior from them yet.

Its a 29G high

Upvote 0

Basil

Are all the fish juveniles? They may not start to show aggression until they get a bit older.
And just read that the sharks are adult. So they are 5-6 inches each?

Upvote 0

Rick bose

I did not know that about angelfish & dwarf gouramis. I haven't noticed any territorial behavior from them yet.

Its a 29G high

29G high means it's even less soace, the rainbow shark will not get enough space to roam in the aquarium. They are highly active high and like to move freely in the tank. That's why they need tank that are long enough. A 29g, especially 29g high is not recommended for a rainbow shark. A single one will live in a 29g. It will have no one to chase and can cause no more issue but it will not thrive on your tank. It will be fish abuse. Now it's up to you.

Also just because your angel fish is not territorial now, doesn't mean they never will be. It can happen anytime. As juveniles they can be peaceful. They grow more territorial as they grow bigger. They are after all cichlids. Angelfish are relatively peaceful than many aggressive cichlids but still they can be aggressive or territorial in a community tank of 29g & not recommended with your tankmates. They grow fairly large too. So there's a good enough chance also that they will eat your neons when they grow big. Dwarf gouramis are known to be a territorial fish. Just do some research and see for yourself.

But a dwarf gourami can work in a community tank of 29g. A pair of angel fish is okay for a 29g high too if the tank has no other territorial fishes and no fish small enough to fit in their mouths. I never said the tank is not suitable for a pair of angel fish or a single dwarf gourami. I said except the guppies and the neons all your tankmates are territorial species and I have never known anyone keeping so much territorial fishes together successfully in a 29g. Now you can do some research yourself and see. The fish profile of these fishes on fishlore are reliable. There are many other reliable webistes too.

Upvote 0

Jhawk117

Are all the fish juveniles? They may not start to show aggression until they get a bit older.
And just read that the sharks are adult. So they are 5-6 inches each?
Yes, they are maybe about that long
What if I were to raise the temp to 80? Would that be too much for some of my fish?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mix
Replies
Views
A201
  • Question
Replies
Views