Do I need to use both outlets in my air pump?

devsi

I have this (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/02/apparel/rcxgs/tile._CB483369956_.gif) air pump, where I'm using one outlet for an airstone and the other for a sponge filter.

I'm thinking of removing the airstone, because the sucker keeps coming lose and it's annoying. I'm either going to get another sponge filter (not that I need the filtration, but because it's weighted down and won't float around like the air stone), or I'm not going to use the second outlet at all.

Can I simply just take out the air tube from the second outlet, or do I need to have an extension so I have the two outlets merge into one and go into my sponge filter (https://i0.wp.com/www.jeffreythompson.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/IMG_8040.jpg as an example of what I mean)?

Blacksheep1

I have a similar one and when I don’t use the other i have a small length of air pipe with a very tight knot in it and put it on the one I’m not using. Now I’m not saying this a good idea but it what I do !! Currently both are in use again and it still works just fine.
You could absolutely buy a little connector and join the two tubes into one very easily .

ProudPapa

Another option, similar to the one Blacksheep1 mentioned, would be to attach a short section of air line to the other port, double it over, and put a rubber band or something similar on it to hold it in place.

KingOscar

You can merge the 2 if you want more air flow. You can leave one side open but that will be louder. Blocking off one side completely will stress the diaphragm and lead to failure. Better to run both through a gang valve and allow a little air to bleed off.

BigManAquatics

I have one pump with 4 outlets, any that are unused i put a few inches of tubing on and cap it off with an adjuster valve. Leaving unused ones open seems to make the pump louder. At least that one, anyway.

devsi

Thanks all :)

I'll use a connector and will run it into one tube -> sponge filter!

JeremyW

I'd say you need another tank to use up that extra air port. Its just a waste otherwise ;)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
david1978
Replies
Views
BRAV0 31st
Replies
Views
Juicy Fruity Pebbles
Replies
Views