Do I Need to Use Air Stones?

AquaticQueen

Hello all,
I may potentially be embarking on a venture into guppy breeding in the future and I have yet another question. I have a plan for the grow-out tank which consists of buying the biggest Rubbermaid container I can get while still being reasonable, so probably about 40, maybe 50 gallons if I can find something that size. Maybe I'll set up a second one in the future. Then obviously I'd get the heater, sponge filter, plants, etc. but I have a question regarding the filter. I wasn't really planning on using air stones, but now I'm worried that my filter will create an excessive amount of bubbles and potentially harm the fry. Am I right to be worried? Should I use air stones?

eggnogkali

Air stones decrease the noise levels and make the filtration more efficient. While it's not vital, I do reccomend them for your sponge filter.

AquaticQueen

Air stones decrease the noise levels and make the filtration more efficient. While it's not vital, I do reccomend them for your sponge filter.
So the bubbles won't hurt the fry?

mattgirl

So the bubbles won't hurt the fry?
The bubbles won't hurt the fry. Are you talking about running a sponge filter and a separate airstone or are you going to put an airstone in the sponge filter? Personally if I was thinking about running a sponge filter and a separate airstone I would just run 2 sponge filters. If you are going to have an extra airline in a tank it may as well be providing filtration instead of just bubbles. Sponge filters are the perfect filtration for fry.

AquaticQueen

The bubbles won't hurt the fry. Are you talking about running a sponge filter and a separate airstone or are you going to put an airstone in the sponge filter? Personally if I was thinking about running a sponge filter and a separate airstone I would just run 2 sponge filters. If you are going to have an extra airline in a tank it may as well be providing filtration instead of just bubbles. Sponge filters are the perfect filtration for fry.
I wanted to run just one sponge filter and was wondering if I absolutely needed an air stone. Thanks for the response!
One more question: If the grow out tank is about 40 gallons, will a sponge filter that is rated for a 50g be enough filtration or does it even really matter as long as the air pump is strong enough? The air pump I'm looking to buy is rated for 20-100 gallons.

mattgirl

I wanted to run just one sponge filter and was wondering if I absolutely needed an air stone. Thanks for the response!
One more question: If the grow out tank is about 40 gallons, will a sponge filter that is rated for a 50g be enough filtration or does it even really matter as long as the air pump is strong enough? The air pump I'm looking to buy is rated for 20-100 gallons.
No, you don't absolutely need an airstone. For a storage tote as big as you are considering I would be more comfortable running 2 sponge filters though. One may be plenty but as I am sure you've read me saying before, you can never have too much filtration. By running 2 you can clean one at a time without the fear of damaging the cycle.

AquaticQueen

No, you don't absolutely need an airstone. For a storage tote as big as you are considering I would be more comfortable running 2 sponge filters though. One may be plenty but as I am sure you've read me saying before, you can never have too much filtration. By running 2 you can clean one at a time without the fear of damaging the cycle.
The air pump I want has two outputs so I'll definitely consider the second filter. Thanks for the advice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JayH
Replies
Views
KYRph
Replies
Views
Lakemontfishlover
Replies
Views