Do I Need To Trim Elodea?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by InsanityShard, Apr 19, 2018.

1. InsanityShard

InsanityShard Well Known Member Member

The Elodea I have I thought had stress shoots. Roots are growing out of them too- are they just branches and ariel roots or should I trim those off and plant them separately? They do have to curl around under the water level of the 10g tank they're in, but are thriving well. I found my banana lily wasn't just suffering from the amonia spike or anything, it just wanted a pruning too.

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Trimming does promote new plant growth and you should trim when the plants get to big for the aquarium. When you cut a plant, it recedes to a node, and then grows two stems from the node. If your in a low lighting setup and the bottom of the plant isn't healthy you can clip 4 inches off the top and replant.

3. OP
    OP
    InsanityShard

Well... It's a bit long but the plants are in a high light environment and healthy all over, having fully recovered from their quarantine and being planted in solid gravel. >_> Since Elodea can be free floating, that's what confuses me. Do I just leave them or does it need to be trimmed? With a banana lily in there too, once that gets its pads back they might anchor on each other or something... Not sure.

4. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi, yes you'll need to keep the Elodea trimmed or it will just keeping growing & spread across the top of the tank & put everything else in shade, you can replant the cuttings either with the original plant to thicken it out or in different locations to spread it out. They do sprout roots from the actual stems which trail in the water column & these can just be left. I keep mine cut back to just below the surface & replant the bits that look healthy & bin the straggly bits.

5. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

If you want to plant them it depends if you want more plants I would just trim them unless you want more elodea

6. OP
    OP
    InsanityShard

Thanks, it means I just saved a crapton of money for my big tank too. XD If I end up with too many I'll just give them to my favourite pet shop.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice