Do I Need To Sterilize My Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by mrsthejenn, Apr 13, 2018.

1. mrsthejenn

mrsthejenn New Member Member

I bought two beautiful ranchu goldfish from the Central Florida Koi Show back in March. They have been together in a 45 gallon tank (loads of filtration and maintained at ammonia 0, nitrIte 0, nitrAte 10-20), quarantined and going through some basic treatment so they are healthy enough to be in either my pond or my 55 gallon tank. Well, despite my best efforts, they have rapidly begun hemorrhaging over the past two days - septicemia is the only cause I can imagine, and I don't know how it got to this point. I've popped them into a smaller hospital tank now and am giving them antibiotics as recommended by my LFS. I am skeptical that they will make it, which breaks my heart.

Now here's my question - I am also raising goldfish fry in a 100 gallon stock tank and need to move some into another tank as they are getting bigger. I do not have an infinite supply of tanks, so I'm hoping I can move some into my 45 gallon for now. However, what do I need to do about making sure it's safe for them. Whatever infected my ranchu was obviously nasty as my typical ParaGuard treatment didn't seem to cure it, and I don't want to see my fry all get horribly sick.

The guy at my LFS said I didn't need to worry about it since the bacteria was in the sick fish and not the water and so unless I have my fry around the sick fish, they'll be fine. As a mother of 4 kids, I find that hard to believe. A sick child need merely tap a book with one finger, and the next kid to pick up that book is sick in a span of 12 hours. So I'm keen on advice from you fine, experienced folk.

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

if it is a bacterial infection, normally they only survive on the fish. viral and fungal will stay in the aquarium but not bacterial. however, i would give it a few days beforing add more fish to make sure. Also, stay away from paraguard. it's expensive and doesn't work, same with kordon with ich. Even tetras lifeguard works better than that stuff. Go with marcyrn. it's pricy but works very well.

3. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi, what a horrible position you've found yourself in, I think the guy at your LFS needs sorting out rapido, what stupid advice. Basically if whatever infected your poor ranchu was that quick & that nasty I would tear the tank down, completely disinfect it & any equipment that was in it & start from scratch, I know that's a lot & a real pain but in my honest opinion it's the only way to ensure the new fish you put in it will be safe. Hope your ranchu pull through.

4. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

PLease feed your goldfish pellets or flake containing oxytetracycline or doxycycline. Kens fish has them.

Septicima= aermonas bacteria. Oxytetracycline is very good at stopping the overgrowth of this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice